District Champs

Liberty defeats Fulton to capture program’s first district championship

The team holds the plaque proudly in the air, while the student section swarms around them in celebration.

Chasteanne Salvosa, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Liberty took home the title of district champions for the first time in school history in a convincing victory against Fulton, winning 62-50.

The Eagles (21-6) now advance to the Class 4 Sweet 16 to play Jennings (23-4) on Tuesday at Francis Howell Central High School at 6 p.m.  The winner of that game will play either Parkway Central or Borgia, who also play Tuesday.

The district championship took place on Friday night, March 3 at Liberty, beginning with an immediate tug of war between the two teams, playing a close game in the first quarter. But Liberty quickly reclaimed the court as three minutes into the second quarter, the Eagles gained a five point lead on Fulton (17-11) and by halftime, the scoreboard showed a 24-14 lead.

After halftime, Fulton bit back closing some of the gap, but not before Liberty regained footing, the two teams going back-and-forth. Liberty maintained a 10-point lead for most of the second half.

Senior Blake Stricker closed up the game with two final free throws, the game ending with a final score 62-50.

Kaleb Overall led all scorers with 19 points while Jaylen Sims contributed 12. Blake Stricker, Andy Jorris and Brian Jones all added seven points apiece.