Balancing Act

Wyatt Lake is named one of the Post-Dispatch Scholar Athletes

Sneior Wyatt Lake was awarded the Post-Dispatch Scholar Athlete award. For me it’s an everyday thing because I always try to put hard work into everything that I do,” Lake said. “So everyday I stay after school for practice and also when I get home I do my homework. For me it’s just an average day.”

Maddie Baker, Sports Editor

It started with an email from activities director Mr. Eldredge to the coaches about potential scholar athletes. Coach Glavin nominated candidates for the position but one student stood out the most to Eldredge.

Each year the St. Louis Post-Dispatch honors a scholar athlete who succeeds in both academics and sports. Senior Wyatt Lake was picked to be the representative for Liberty’s Post-Dispatch Scholar Athlete.

“Wyatt is a three sport varsity athlete, his GPA and his honors of being a several time all-conference athlete and an all-district athlete it just took him to the top and actually made it a pretty clear cut,” Eldredge said.

Hard work has been a part of Lake’s mindset in everything that he does including sports that he played; football, cross country and track.

“For me, it’s an everyday thing because I always try to put hard work into everything that I do,” Lake said. “So everyday I stay after school for practice and also when I get home I do my homework. For me it’s just an average day.”

Lake has also found out how to manage his time wisely so he has time for school, friends and sports.

“Balancing everything is kind of difficult, especially in high school because you have a lot going on and last year when I had a job it was even more difficult because I was taking harder classes than I am now,” Lake said. “My junior year was definitely my toughest and was kind of hard to manage, but you get through it.”

Lake didn’t know he was nominated at first. He was told one morning that he was the representative for Liberty.

“I called him on his cell phone, because he was on release time, left him a voicemail to come see me when he got to school. He came in and happened to be in Mr. Kiesel’s office and we just shared the news with him,” Eldredge said. “His reaction was very humbled and grateful for the honor to be considered for it.”