Think Fast

Liberty hosts baseball game to recognize first responders

Think+Fast

Maddie Baker, Sports Editor

When one is a part of the O’Fallon Fire Department, coming to Liberty Baseball games isn’t much of an option unless it is a special occasion like the event, fastballers for first responders.

On Wednesday April 19th, Liberty hosted a baseball game to recognize the fire department, paramedics and police department.

Mike Braile, captain of the O’Fallon Fire Department, was one of many first responders there.

“Seeing the support from Liberty and the effort put forth from the students is very much appreciated,” Braile said. “We also had many of the staff and Liberty parents come up to us.”

The first responders weren’t the only people who were honored to be there. The varsity baseball team was honored to have them there as well.

“The fastballs for first responders was a successful event with a great turnout, and it was nice being able to recognize the first responders in our community,” junior Andy Jorris said. “We were honored to dedicate our game to them for all that they do for us, after all it’s all about playing for something bigger than ourselves.”

The first responders were honored to come, but they felt that it was more to help support Liberty and when they came they felt that was all the recognition they needed.

“Frankly when we learned Liberty was hosting fastballs for first responders, it was more about helping you than for us being recognized. That is the way firefighters are built,” Braile said. “Our job is all about helping others and when we are able to do that, that is all the recognition we need. We are very thankful and appreciate when we are recognized.”

Unfortunately, the first responders had to respond to an incident and had to leave halfway through the game, but were still honored to be there for half of the game.