A King Has Been Crowned

The results of Liberty’s first male beauty pageant are in

E. Mason

Senior Drew Schill takes a selfie with the crowd after it is announced that he has won Mr.LHS

Chasteanne Salvosa

Eleanor McCrary, Reporter

Liberty hosted its first Mr. LHS on Friday, April 28 in the gym. Mr. LHS is an all-male beauty pageant hosted by Liberty’s Student Council.

According to Amy Paulus, the Student Council member in charge of running the event, the goal of the pageant is to promote “fun and goofiness” at school, all while raising money for StuCo.

The pageant makes fun of stereotypical women’s beauty pageants. It includes six different categories for the boys to be judged on, including dance, swimwear, talent, pick up line and formal wear. In addition, the boys took part in the characteristic pageant question and answer portion.

Nine boys performed this year. Eight of them were seniors: Elijah England, John Brooks, Kenny Nowling, Chad Bailey, Collin Page, Drew Schill, Tim Leach and Nick McClanahan. Patrick Stege was the one junior who participated.

By a single point, Mr. Drew Schill was pronounced Liberty’s very first Mr. LHS. His win was influenced both by the judges and by the students. The judges kept score cards throughout the performances and the students could vote for their favorite using a Snapchat code.

Photo by E. McCrary
Students Ally Schany (left) and Sara Merz (right) vote for Mr. LHS on Snapchat. Photo by E. McCrary

Schill believes that he was set apart from the other contestants because his “… main target was trying to make everyone laugh.”

The moment Drew Schill was crowned Mr. LHS Photo by E. Mason

Schill went on to say that he doesn’t care about embarrassing himself, as long as the audience has a good time. His talent was dancing and screeching in an inflatable dinosaur costume, which made all the judges – including Mr. Webster – laugh. In fact, Webster, known characteristically for his gruff personality, even said that, “it was fun.”

Judges laugh at Schill’s talent performance. Photo by E. McCrary

Other highlights of the night included Tim Leach’s dance with his cat, Chad Bailey performing his longest “yea boi” ever, and Collin Page’s Napoleon Dynamite inspired dance routine.

Photo by E. McCrary
Tim Leach dips his cat during his dance. Photo by E. McCrary

Mr. LHS was held in the large gym and had more than 300 people attend. With a $3 entry fee, this means that Student Council raised over $900 for their club and their miracle minute earned over $100 for the charity Relay 4 Life.