Class of 2017 Finds the Finish Line

Liberty’s First Graduation is held at the Family Arena

photo provided by Trotter

The graduates stand backstage before the ceremony. Cameron Graham talks among his classmates before they are sent on stage.

Max Fensterman, Reporter

The Family Arena in St. Charles was bustling. Parents and relatives alike were rushing around and gushing with everyone else about their loved ones’ achievement.

This was the day, May 20th 2017, when Liberty’s first graduating class was to take their final steps as high school seniors. To many of them, it looked as if the road had ended, although their final journey across the stage had yet to begin.

Soon after six o’clock, a trail of Liberty’s administrators and faculty began to enter through the tunnel and onto the arena floor. They took their places on the outside of the seats, and some made their way to the stage. Soon after, two lines of seniors emerged directly across each other on two sides of the arena, making their way down the aisles and to their seats in front of the stage.

photo provided by Trotter
Seniors are seated in front of the stage in time to listen to the various speeches.

Principal Nelson took to the podium once everyone was settled, and made opening remarks. His introduction of Liberty’s former principal, Mr. Ragusky, was met with hearty applause by all in attendance.

Liberty’s chamber choir sang the song Before We Part,” which invoked a fitting sense of nostalgia. Then, Wentzville School District superintendent, Dr. Curtis Cain, made his own opening speech before clearing the floor for Mr. Barker, the students’ choice for teacher commencement speaker.

“Well, it’s a great day to be an eagle,” Mr. Barker said.

He offered the students tips for success past high school, while making light hearted jokes along the way.

photo by A. Grant
Students voted for history teacher, Mr. Barker, to speak on behalf of the senior class. He gave meaningful advice about gathering as many keys, experiences, as possible while living life to the fullest.

“Collect as many keys as you can, because keys open doors,” he said, before going on to explain the significance of a few keys he brought with him on stage. “This key is to my friend’s house. This one is to my own house, it took me a lot of work to get that one. This key is to my classroom at school, and this key… well this key got me in trouble,” Mr. Barker said. His keys to success: trust, hard work, and learning from your own mistakes.

As his speech came to a close, he left the class of 2017 with one last piece of advice, “Stop trying to get noticed by the world. Instead, stop and notice the world, It’s beautiful and interesting,” one for the history books, truly.

After Mr. Barker concluded his speech, Mr. Nelson noticed a piece of trash on the stage in front of the podium and sprung up to retrieve it, making a remark to the crowd that Liberty High is “the cleanest school around.”

The student commencement speaker, Danielle Corgan, came up to take the stage. She focused more so on reflection over the last four years than looking to the future.

photo by A. Grant
After spending four years in love with Liberty, senior Danielle Corgan had her chance to officially say goodbye in a graduation speech. Corgan mentioned several Liberty accomplishments including being featured on the news and building a wheelchair for a little girl.

“We are a class of risk takers. The first players on the sports teams, and the first students to start the clubs,” Corgan said. She urged the students to apply this ambition that Liberty is known for to their future endeavors.

After her speech, Liberty’s concert band played “The Nathan Hale Trilogy,” composed by James Curnow. The song was very reflective of the roller coaster of emotions that everyone in attendance felt that night, switching from calm drum beats to loud, rhythmic, melodies from the brass section.

Then the song was over, and the time came. Students were called up one at a time, row by row, to receive their diplomas. Some snapped selfies before walking across the stage, others were very serious in their intentions while shaking hands with the administration who presented their diplomas. One senior, Cole Ruyle, even rolled across the stage in Heelys to receive his. Parents cheered at their children being called and you could feel their happiness and relief in the air.

photo by A. Grant
At the graduation ceremony, senior Taylour Moenster smiles as he walks to stage.

After all of the diplomas were handed out, Mr. Nelson made the announcement, “Congratulations class of 2017!” and the graduation caps went flying into the air.

Junior Austin McClanahan attended the ceremony to support his brother Nick, who plans to attend Truman State University this fall.

“The ceremony was sensational, and I’m happy for my brother. His hard work was unmatched,” McClanahan said.

As the masses of attendees began to file out of the arena, the sun had just begun to dip towards the horizon. There was still time to take pictures, laugh, and smile. The day wasn’t over yet, but one thing is for certain:

It was a great day to be an eagle.

Save