Broke and On a Budget

Businesses and companies provide student discounts

Jessica Gibson, Reporter

High school and college kids normally all have one thing in common. They are broke. Even when working those 20 hour weeks and saving money in a savings account, you never seem to have any money.

Once you get your driver’s license, you immediately become broke. Whether it’s car payments, insurance, phone bills, shopping, or eating out with friends, high school is the time when students take on responsibilities. Eventually, you get a job and learn to manage money more, but then college comes around and then your right back to the beginning of being broke. Luckily for students, businesses and common places that are popular to high school and college students, take note of their low incomes and some offer student discounts.

Saving money is always a key when trying to live on a budget, especially when saving money when shopping. There are many places that offer student discounts when shopping in store or online. Kate Spade offers students discounts on purchases.

“We have partnered with UNiDAYS and offer students 15 percent off when they register a UNiDAYS account using a verified student email address,” said Aimee, a Kate Spade customer care helper. There are more requirements on their website.

Another store that offers discounts is Alex and Ani. They also offer a 15 percent discount on student purchases. They also have their requirements on their website.

Students like being able to go out. Netflix can get boring after watching the same shows three times each. Many businesses in the area off discounts for students, depending on the place. One example would be AMC theaters. According to an AMC representative, specifically the AMC Streets of St. Charles 8, when a student brings in their student I.D, they will give you a 10 percent off discount on your movie ticket.

Another business that offers student discounts is Nails de Soleil, located off Ronald Reagan Dr. in Lake St. Louis. When going to get your nails done, bring your I.D and receive $2 off. Most nails salons offer some type of student discount, so always ask.

Cars are expensive. Everything from car payments, to insurance, to the type of service that needs to be done frequently. There are certain car shops that will offer discounts to students. Jiffy Lube offers either $10 or 10 percent off of any service. They also off this discount to Uber drivers.

Spending money is fun, but after checking your bank account, you sometimes realize what damage has been done. Save some money and use your resources. Many other business offer discounts for students so call and ask certain locations, or check on their websites. Sometimes businesses have back to school sales for students only. Always ask you favorite place if they ever participate in these because sometimes their answers will shock you.

Overall, saving money is in everyone’s best interest. The little things can save a few pennies, and when it comes to living on a budget, every penny is worth saving.