Access Denied

Is it necessary to block so many websites

Blake Degner, Reporter

capture

Have you ever tried to look something up on your Chromebook and come greeted to  “access denied” or a “site can not be reached”? Of course you have, we all have.

It’s annoying, and puts a complete halt on what you’re doing. Most dislike the blockage on there Chromebook but some do respect it.

The blockage has its pros and cons.

“The blocking is important, not all things need to be accessed by the general public, at least not at school,” Mr Tutterow said. “Like social media, people say that the students could use it for educational purposes but most videos posted are for entertainment and not educational, and pretty much every other kind of post is just opinions and entertainment.”

There are also people who believe that web page blocking all together is pointless, that it only gets in the way of their schooling.

Mr. Eversole sees where there can be some modifications with sites such as Youtube.

“You have to realize that every single parent would have to sign a waiver, saying it’s OK to have Youtube on the Chromebooks, and I mean every parent. Though in a perfect world, I would have Youtube be unblocked and accessible to the students but with restrictions and not just blocked completely.”

People may not be able to come up with a middle ground about this subject with ease, but hopefully, one day everyone will be able to come to an equally balanced agreement.  

What’s your opinion on the matter?