Musicians of Liberty

Recognition to those who are musically inclined

Markie Schmidt, Reporter

It may not be so obvious but the school is full of people with hidden talents. The person you sit next to everyday in 4th period could be a drummer in a local band, or a solo artist with a popular Youtube channel. Unless you know someone personally, odds are you’re missing out on something interesting. So here are some of the musicians you may not know of, here at Liberty.

img_0301-minSophomore Maya Angeles not only plays the piano but also sings. In as early as second grade she started taking piano lessons. Then the next year she joined a choir group at her elementary school, called the Singing Sensations.

To Maya the piano offers many possibilities.
“You can play so many different songs,” Angeles said. “Like you can figure out a way to interpret a screamo song into piano if you really tried. You have almost an infinite range of notes.”

With her combined musical abilities, she has accompanied in choir and she currently plays piano in band.

Senior Jake Mcnerney drums for the band Sales Through Storms. He started playing in 6th grade in band class. To him the drums seemed easiest and most natural. To the question, Would you want a career he replied, “I would definitely want a career as a drummer in a rock band.”

Junior Chase Wright just started playing the ukulele last year. It all started when he received a ukulele on his birthday. From there, he learned how to play songs from Youtube.

“I would see people play ukulele and they never looked upset while playing it,” Wright said.

Sophomore Luke Carter is a guitar player. He started playing six years ago when he joined a program at his elementary school called Power Chords. After that he continued playing and learning through lessons. For the second year in a row he’ll be playing in the school’s jazz band. He also plays at the local music shop Bisco every Thursday.

Freshman Dessa Outman started playing guitar when she was in fifth grade.

“My parents got me a guitar for Christmas, and it was from Walmart,” Outman said. “I decided to sit by Guitar Hero on the Xbox and listen to it. So mainly I was just strumming repeatedly. Then my parents were like OK so we’re done hearing your craziness we’ll just get you lessons.”

She started playing guitar because at the time she was obsessed with Taylor Swift. Like Jake, she’d love to have a career in the music industry, but as solo indie pop artist.

Maya, Jake, Chase, Luke, and Dessa are only five of many talented musicians here at Liberty. It’s wild to think that one day you could hear any of them on the radio, in an interview on tv, or even at a live concert. But the real truth is that similar success could come to anyone here at this school.