The Best Of Billboard

Multiple artists take home awards on the night at Billboard Music Awards

Billboard+Music+Awards+Logo+

Billboard Music Awards Logo

Amelia Lockett, Reporter

An amazing show of popular artists, the Billboard Music Awards took place May 1 in Las Vegas hosted by Kelly Clarkson.

To open the night, Taylor Swift and Brendon Urie sang their new song Me. Like that one, there where many dazzling performances but the singer most honored that night was Mariah Carey. Carey won the icon award and then performed a medley of her top hits. Medleys seemed to be a common thing that night, as the Jonas Brothers perform a medley of Jealous, Cake by the Ocean and Sucker.

The most important award that night was the Top Artist Award won by Drake. Drake won a total of 12 awards and was nominated for even more.

“In my opinion, yes he is a great rapper and he works really hard and also has a lot of talent,” sophomore Crista Turner-Brown said.

You can’t forget to mention the group that is popular worldwide, BTS. The boy band won Top Duo/Group Award and Top Social Artist Award. When Kelly Clarkson or any other announcer said BTS, the whole crowd would go wild; obviously a fan favorite.

“The reason they are popular is because they don’t take what they have for granted. They are always thanking ARMY (the BTS fanbase),” sophomore Jordan Brandt said.  

Paula Abdul closed out the awards, with the last medley of the night singing six songs.

To see a complete list of nominees and winners go to:

https://www.eonline.com/news/1036162/billboard-music-awards-2019-winners-the-complete-list