Lucky Sevens

St. Louis Blues beat the Dallas Stars in seven games to advance to the Western Conference finals for the first time since 2016

Lucky Sevens

St. Louis Blues logo. The Blues advance to the Western Conference Finals for the first time in 3 years.

St. Louis Blues

St. Louis Blues

St. Louis Blues

Caleb Woods, Online Editor

It’s heading towards 11 p.m. on May 7 in St. Louis and a few minutes in double overtime. The Blues win the faceoff, Robert Thomas shoots the puck off Dallas goalie and St. Louisan, Ben Bishop. Pat Maroon, who wears no. 7, in front of the net, tips the puck in the net. GOAL!

The horn sounds and “Gloria” sounds throughout Enterprise Center. The Blues win the game 2-1 and advance to the Western Conference Finals for the first time in three years.

“Pat Maroon has put the city on his shoulders,” Blues radio play-by-play announcer Chris Kerber said after Maroon scored the goal.

Junior Bridget Morris was able to attend Game 7 on May 7 and witness one of the most memorable moments in Blues postseason history.

“The moment Maroon scored the goal,” Morris said. “Every single person in the stands stood up and screamed.”

Not everyone was lucky enough to go to game 7 but instead watched the game on TV.

Staff member Mr. Ebert was watching the game when Maroon scores the goal.

“I just threw both arms and jumped,” Ebert said. “It was one of the most memorable Blues goals of all time.”

But that goal, didn’t come easy. Throughout the game, Blues goalie Jordan Binnington and Dallas goalie Ben Bishop played like it was the Stanley Cup finals.

“They [Blues] set the tone early,” Ebert said. “Bishop had one of the most incredible performances of all time and if it wasn’t for a lucky bounce we might of lost the game because Dallas was starting to find some momentum.”

The next day, the Blues found out they will be playing the San Jose Sharks, who beat the Colorado Avalanche in seven games. This is a rematch of the 2016 Western Conference Finals.

As of May 14, the Blues and Sharks are tied 1-1 in the best of seven series. Game 3 is Wednesday, May 15 at Enterprise Center at 7 p.m. 

About the Writer
Caleb Woods, Audio and Online Editor

Caleb Woods is a senior and his first year on the Ledger magazine. This is his third year in publications. He loves watching the St. Louis Blues and he...