Working For Worth

Balancing jobs in high school, and the troubles that come with it

The question whether money is worth the stress.

Nora Foeller

Nora Foeller, Reporter

Everyone knows at least one person juggling a job on top of school. On the outside, that person may seem well balanced, but on the inside, they could be brimming with stress. Yes, it may be their option to partake in a job, but the environment they have to work in may not be worth the cost. 

Such an example is junior Payden London. London is a part of the varsity softball team and balances a job with it all. Being part of a team is very demanding, and takes time. The same goes for the workforce. It is a well known fact that both the employee and the job should accommodate each other, but this is not the case.

“I had to lessen my hours because of softball and school, so I can’t work on weekdays, but I can work weekends,” London said. “They always try to schedule me during the weekdays, so I always have to tell the manager, ‘hey I can’t work.’…about 2-3 times a week.” 

London confesses, yet she continues to put up with complications to make money on the side.

In another case, you have sophomore Brianna Spies. Spies is still a minor due to the law, which influences the number of hours she can work. 

“I’m a minor, I have to get to work at four, so right after school I don’t have time to go home or eat or anything. I have to go immediately to work, which will mess with me up with being hungry or just little things like that,” Spies said. Although the stress of a job is worth it, having the ability to buy her own things makes all of the work justifiable. 

A majority of high schoolers with jobs face the issue between having a job and not having a job. The reason of which many put up with it, is for the freedom or saving for upcoming college years. The back and forth battle to keep a job is a lot on anybody, so that leads us to one question.

Is the price to pay worth the salary?