Hitting Close to Home

Liberty students help raise money for hurricane victims

StuCo+juniors+Marlee+Doniff+and+Hunter+Perkins+sell+White+Out+shirts+during++lunch.+Proceeds+went+to+the+Texas+Red+Cross.+

photo by Bailey Crow

StuCo juniors Marlee Doniff and Hunter Perkins sell White Out shirts during lunch. Proceeds went to the Texas Red Cross.

Emma Hankins, Reporter

As students were walking into school during the first week of September, they were greeted by smiling students with colorful buckets of money to gather money for the hurricanes.  

These caring volunteers are taking time out of their mornings and their lunch to help raise money for the victims of the catastrophic hurricanes – Harvey and Irma – that hit Texas and Florida.

Hurricane Harvey has already taken at least 70 lives. Hurricane Irma is making her way to southern Florida and then up throughout the southeast.

Many students were wearing their $8 shirts bought at lunch for Friday’s White Out game – where Liberty won 33-20. All funds for the shirts are going to the Texas Red Cross.

“It’s really cool how the school is raising all this money for the people who live where the hurricane is hitting,” said junior Grace Fiordimondo after buying a White Out shirt.

StuCo treasurer, Marlee Doniff, estimated that if all of the shirts are purchased the school will raise $420. The final result exceeded expectations as the students raised an impressive amount of $1100 for shirts and $700 in donations.

In addition to the shirts, people have been sitting inside by the bus entrance collecting more funds.

“We are looking at over a thousand dollars,” said StuCo sponsor Ms. Holmes. “We collected all the money from people walking in the morning.”

National Honors Society (NHS) also contributed to the fund raising effort.

With all of Liberty’s help donating money, everyone can help the families and people who are affected by both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma.  

Senior Austyn Kloth shows his support to hurricane victims by buying a White Out shirt.