Fandom Pride

Here’s how some Liberty students show off their fandoms in their everyday wear

Ivanna Marin (left) and Sarah Eplett are two girls who are in many fandoms. Ivanna likes Percy Jackson, while Sarah like Bleach and Red vs. Blue.

Vanessa Ascencio, Reporter

What is a fandom? A fandom is the name of a community of people who all admire or are fans of a particular thing in pop culture. It could be for a book series like Percy Jackson or Harry Potter. Or for a movie franchise like Twilight or The Hunger Games. It can also be for a specific singer or band like Panic! At The Disco or Twenty One Pilots or even singers like Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez.

Seniors Sarah Eplett and Ivanna Marin aren’t afraid to show off their favorite fandoms through their everyday style. Each day they represent the same or different fandoms. Eplett decided to wear some pants with the design of her favorite anime, Bleach, and a hoodie from a web series on youtube called Red vs. Blue. Marin on the other hand, wore a shirt showing off her favorite book series Percy Jackson.

“My sister first showed me the anime Bleach a while ago and I like it so much because of it’s action scenes, and one of my friends showed me Red vs. Blue and I because a fan of that because of it’s humor.” While Marin said. “I read the first book in 7th grade. I went into the library wanting to check out a Harry Potter book and saw the first Percy Jackson book next to it. At the time I was learning about mythology in school and I found out that this book has to do with mythology. So I checked it out, read it and fell in love with the series.”

Eplett and Marin choose to represent these particular fandom styles because of the comfort. They believe that comfort should always come first when looking for what clothes to wear, and it just so happens their most comfy attire are the clothes from their favorite fandoms.

“Red vs Blue has changed me a lot,” Eplett said. “It’s a show that has many revelations about life and as a writer has helped me learn what stories should be and look like. It’s also given me lots of friends and made me more humble. It’s made me think about people a lot and made me even more grateful for all the things I have and people that I care about.”

Marin said the world of Percy Jackson is so vast that it has become an escape from all of the modern day stress and anxiety.

“It also taught me not to judge others because there is always more to one side of the story and you don’t know what someone else is going through behind-the-scenes,” Marin said. “You should treat all people with both respect and kindness.”

Fandoms allow people to make new friends and they also reflect who you are in a positive a way. A fandom is a community where you aren’t judged and can collectively meet with others and talk about your singer’s new song, your favorite shows newest episode, or your favorite author’s newest book.