Taking the Pledge

Liberty’s chance to win $10,000 and a Greek Fire concert

Sarah Martin

For several months now, Liberty has been in first place out of 168 schools, to win $10,000 and a free concert featuring the St. Louis band Greek Fire.

To help promote safe driving, Jim Butler Auto Group created a teen driving contract. Teens, parents and other teen supporters are able to take the pledge once an hour. The main points of the pledge are to never text and drive, always wear your seat belt, obey all traffic laws and always be a defensive driver. The pledge is completely free and takes less than a minute to do. Students have until September 30th to take the pledge.

Timberland High School is in 21st place and Holt is in 32nd as of August 26th. Liberty’s first place status says a lot about our school spirit, compared to schools that have much larger student bodies.

Ms. Kleiber, the drivers ed teacher is particularly eager for Liberty to win. She frequently reminds her students to take the pledge.

“Getting you guys to realize how dangerous it is out there…” Kleiber said. “The pledge is just kind of like a commitment you guys are making to yourselves more than anything else. Hopefully by doing it so many times, everyday, you might think about actually being safe drivers… Driving is such a huge responsibility.”

There are several Greek Fire fans at Liberty.

“I’m excited to see them in concert… I like how they sound,” sophomore Grace Lammert said of the band. Lammert, along with various other students, discovered Greek Fire on 105.7, The Point.

Greek Fire is a popular rock band that formed in St. Louis in 2008. Their lead singer Philip Sneed, “Moon,” is also a member of the band Story of the Year, along with member Ryan Phillips. Moon is also featured on the popular radio show, The Rizzuto Show on The Point.

Greek Fire’s most popular song Top of the World received over 2.5 million views on Youtube. The song was also featured in a video filmed on Liberty’s very own football field to promote the contest.

“This is important to me and should be to you,” Moon said of safe driving.

Go to stlsafedriver.com to pledge and view the full contract. The contest comes to an end on Sept. 30, at 11:59 pm. The winner will be announced on or by Oct. 3.