Junior Mandy O’Hearn and other HBS students fill in the half-skeleton with modeling clay, to help visualize the inner-workings of the human body. (Lucy Hunter)
Junior Mandy O’Hearn and other HBS students fill in the half-skeleton with modeling clay, to help visualize the inner-workings of the human body.

Lucy Hunter

Mannequins And Skeletons

November 4, 2019

Have you ever wondered what’s on the inside of a mannequin? Now that seems like a weird question but just think about it. A mannequin represents a human. So shouldn’t it look like one on the inside? Mrs. Strathman’s HBS class takes that thought to the next level. 

In HBS the students are learning how to understand the body’s systems in a hands-on way. At the beginning of this year, they started the project that is turning a skeleton into a mannequin. 

“We make the mannequins out of clay,” junior Jackson Ward said. “We use the clay to analyze the body parts. It starts off as a skeleton but slowly progresses into a human as the year goes by… It is really tough. We have to make everything the right way. But it is fun though.”

Mrs. Strathman went on to explained the idea of the project in more detail.

“The students learn about the different body systems, and then from there they build onto the mannequin,” Strathman said.  “We build on it once a month. The students can even add on to the skeletons in their own way by giving it hair and nails and such.”