Categories:

Battle of the Chalk

Students gear up for our annual spirit week chalk art contest
The Ledger magazine staff participated in the contest last year, drawing their adviser, Mr. Hall, for their art.
Submitted by LHS Publications

There are a handful of traditions here at Liberty. From the annual pink out games to the bridge walk, the student body knows how to do it right. Another one of those traditions the school participates in is the yearly chalk art contest.

The theater programs chalk art from two years ago, when they placed first in the competition. (Submitted by Marissa Varga)

Every year the Student Council holds a chalk art contest during Spirit Week, a way to get students excited and involved in homecoming activities. Clubs around the school will be participating during the week of Sept. 26-Oct. 2. This year the admin. team will be judging the art for the contest this year.

Clubs and organizations are encouraged to participate in the competition. FCCLA, Class of 2027, HOSA, Drama Club, Earth Club, Spanish Club, Model United Nations, and Key Club will be participating in this year’s contest. 

This year the clubs will be drawing at the front, towards the entrance of the school. 

“It just feels like a unique kind of competition, and a really cool way to show off your club,” Molly Mueller (12) said. Mueller will be participating in the competition for the first time this year with Key Club. She has never participated in the contest before and felt it should be something she participates in considering it’s her senior year.

Clubs like Drama Club, Earth Club, and HOSA will be participating in this competition are ready to bring their all. Last year Earth Club took home the crown, winning the contest last year. They don’t have a set plan this year but may do something Greek and plant-themed for this year’s contest, the Garden of Babylon has been on their mind. 

Earth club draws their chalk art for their winning piece last year.

Having won last year, Earth Club is coming into the competition ready and excited. 

“We aren’t doing it just to win,” Clara Walker (12) said. Walker is the president of Earth Club and believes you should participate just for the experience. Don’t come into the contest hoping to win, come into it for the fun. 

Being able to have traditions for students to participate in allows students to better enjoy their school year and have something to look forward to. Every student should participate in at least one school tradition and if you’re looking for one, chalk art might just be the one for you.

Daniel O’Day (11) has sent out a form link allowing clubs to fill out to see if they are interested in participating. If you are interested, as a sponsor or president of a club, fill out the form so you can make sure you’re a part of this tradition. 

Phoenix Egeler
Phoenix Egeler, Assistant Online Editor
Phoenix Egeler is a senior, and the assistant online editor for LHSToday.org who specializes in video editing. They also help with the video editing of the online news class, enjoying the freedom of editing. They will be going to college, undecided, to major in journalism and minor in some kind of criminology class, hoping to become an investigative journalist. She is in their fourth year of publications, having taken three years of online news. In their free time you can probably find them doing graphic design, video editing, or writing. They are a horror movie fan ranging from “Scream” to “Return of the Living Dead,” as well as a metal music fan.