Same Tradition, But Done A New Way

June 1, 2021

Seniors+crowd+around+Mr.+Wheeler+as+they+walk+across+the+bridge+on+their+last+day+of+high+school.+

Jayce Haun

Seniors crowd around Mr. Wheeler as they walk across the bridge on their last day of high school.

Liberty is known for its unique traditions, such as the end of the year assembly where all of the grades shift into the section they will sit in next year (freshmen move to the sophomores section, and onward). The graduating class walks out over the bridge and exits Liberty, just as they had walked over the same bridge into Liberty four years before. 

As we know, this is not a normal year; but the school still found a way to allow its signature traditions to continue. This year the senior class got their beloved bridgewalk, but the sidewalk was lined by the juniors because the annual end of the year assembly was cancelled, which has never happened before in school history. 

This year has been different, but nonetheless still special for the graduating class of 2021. 

“It was such an anticipated moment that it didn’t feel real,” senior Shaina Feinstein said. Feinstein graduated early, but decided to come back for the walk over the bridge. “I didn’t want to miss out on the transition and seeing my friends finish school as well.”

The bridgewalk is arguably the most sentimental tradition at Liberty and walking across that bridge is a moment each senior will remember for the rest of their lives.

“I like that it unifies the seniors in their last moments in the school and gives a sense of pride to everyone,” senior Joey Powers said. 

The class of ‘21 has a rough year, to say the least, but there is nothing more fitting than finishing out their high school careers together. 

Seniors this year may not have been able to participate in all of the annual traditions they were owed. But at least they got to finish their high school career the same way they started it, by crossing the bridge that led to their home away from home. 

About the Writers
Photo of Mollie Banstetter
Mollie Banstetter, Layout Editor of The Ledger

Mollie Banstetter is the Layout Editor of the Ledger. She, a senior, is returning to the magazine for her third year. Banstetter indulges in many activities...

Photo of Ally Schniepp
Ally Schniepp, Sports Editor of The Ledger

Ally Schniepp has been in publications her whole high school career and has been the Sports Editor of The Ledger for three years. She also broadcasts Liberty...