Henry Ragsdale (49) blocks on a play while Liberty moves the ball on offense. (Sruthi Ramesh)
Henry Ragsdale (49) blocks on a play while Liberty moves the ball on offense.

Sruthi Ramesh

Eagles Lose To Troy In Home Opener

The Troy Trojans defeated the Eagles on senior night and the first home game of the season 49-14

September 13, 2021

The Eagles’ first home game resulted in a loss to the Troy Trojans 49-14. The Eagles were taken by storm by the Trojans in the first half, but stayed strong until the end by stopping Troy from scoring in the second half. 

The opposition scored four touchdowns in the first quarter, taking advantage of the Eagles missing two of their strongest defensive players Tye Yeh and Colby Adelsberger. Five Trojan touchdowns were scored by junior Brett Smith and two by junior quarterback Charos Sutton.

The Eagles picked up momentum at the end of the second quarter when senior quarterback Reece Davidson completed a couple passes to senior David Richard and senior Jacob Sorge. Sadly for the Eagles, the clock ran out on the half before they could score a touchdown. 

“We didn’t win but it was about improvement,” senior Diego Rocha-Gonzales said. The Eagles are now 1-2 for the season.

The cheerleaders had a touching halftime show dedicated to their seniors. Each senior had a chance to be showcased as a flyer in this routine, and many chants expressed how proud they were of their seniors on the squad.

The Belles’ halftime show was energetic and choreographed to perfection. The dancers were spectacular and made the routine look flawless with their technique and timing. They also showcased their three seniors throughout the dance, ending with Bella Bahr, Anna Weber, and Molly Marino front and center.

Senior cheerleaders Alana Clark and Rylee Gobble celebrate with the crowd during the football game. (Sruthi Ramesh)

The Eagle Regiment also had its first performance in front of such a large audience. Their ’21-’22 marching show was a show-stopper filled with a strong drumline, harmonic wind section, and graceful color guard.

The Eagles came out in the second half a different team, not allowing the Trojans to get into the endzone anymore throughout the duration of the game. While the defense kept the Trojans out, the offense didn’t give up and scored once in the third quarter and once in the fourth quarter to bring the score to 49-14. 

Senior Jordan Smith scored the first Eagles touchdown of the game in the third quarter, on a five yard run. Sophomore Noah Kuehner scored the last Eagles touchdown of the game on a one-yard run into the endzone, scoring his second touchdown of the season. Kuehner had 40 yards, coming second to junior Ethan Weiler in yards for the game. Weiler had a total of 68 yards run for the game. Both touchdowns were followed by successful kicks by junior Charlie Hebden.

Although the Eagles took back the momentum from the Trojans in the second half, it wasn’t enough to make up for the Trojans’ offense in the first half. The final score was 49-14, Trojans coming out on top and defeating the Eagles on their senior night.

The white sea of a student section stayed strong the entire game, cheering on the home team, even when the game was 49-0. The students cheered on the Eagles with a megaphone and the spirit stick, screaming louder for the plays seniors made. 

“I want to send a special thank you out to our student section tonight,” @LHSFTBALL tweeted after the game.

The first home game may not have been a win, but the program proved to be “Uncommon” by not giving up.

Troy      28 21 0 0 – 49

Liberty   0  0  7  7 – 14

First Quarter
T: Brett Smith 2 run (Mason Gessert kick), 9:53
T: Charos Sutton 4 run (Mason Gessert kick), 7:44
T: Charos Sutton 42 run (Mason Gessert kick), 3:58
T: Brett Smith 5 run (Mason Gessert kick), 1:24

Second Quarter
T: Brett Smith 3 run (Mason Gessert kick), 10:45
T: Brett Smith 9 run (Mason Gessert kick), 8:24
T: Brett Smith 2 run (Mason Gessert kick), 4:09

Third Quarter
L: Jordan Smith 5 run (Charlie Hebden kick), 3:53

Fourth Quarter
L: Noah Kuehner 1 run (Charlie Hebden kick), 1:25