%28Left+to+right%29+Reese+Ramler%2C+Madeline+Claravall%2C+Sydney+Davis+and+Lillia+Clay+are+esteemed+female+leaders+at+Liberty%2C+exemplifying+exceptional+leadership+qualities+and+serving+as+role+models+for+future+generations+of+female+student+leaders+at+LHS.+

Kay Copeland

(Left to right) Reese Ramler, Madeline Claravall, Sydney Davis and Lillia Clay are esteemed female leaders at Liberty, exemplifying exceptional leadership qualities and serving as role models for future generations of female student leaders at LHS.

Beyond Student Council: A Call for More Inclusive Representation of Wentzville’s Female Leaders

Showcasing the true span of female student leadership within the Liberty community

On International Women’s Day, March 8, 2023, the Wentzville School District missed a crucial opportunity to showcase the diverse range of female leadership within their schools. The district’s celebratory social media post merely glossed over two student council presidents, subsequently only recognizing female leadership within two out of their four high schools. 

As a senior at Liberty High School, I couldn’t help but feel disheartened by the lack of inclusivity and diversity within the WSD’s display of “young ladies [that] are our world’s future leaders!” 

While it is crucial to celebrate the achievements of student council presidents, it is equally important to acknowledge the contributions of other female students who are making significant impacts in their schools. This exclusion not only diminishes the contributions of these young women but also erases the diversity of female leadership within the Wentzville School District.

From a district with a newly-appointed female superintendent – the first female superintendent in the WSD’s century-spanning history – I expected more. With this in mind, it is disheartening to see that on a day dedicated to celebrating the accomplishments of women, the WSD’s showcase of female leadership ended at a lacking, measly social media post.

This, of course, isn’t to say that the district could or should highlight each and every female student leader. But to stick solely with student council, an organization that already receives much praise and attention, can feel like erasure to the less-covered school organizations. 

The district should have taken a more inclusive approach by showcasing a wider range of female leaders from different school organizations and groups. By doing so, they would have celebrated the true span of leadership styles and skill sets within their schools. Girls run the world, but not just in student council.

As a response to the district’s missed opportunity, I feel compelled to take it upon myself to highlight the incredible young women within the Liberty community who are making significant contributions to our school. These students exemplify the traits of a leader, and it brings me great joy to showcase their accomplishments.

Let us not forget that true representation goes beyond surface-level recognition. My hope is that the Wentzville School District will take this sentiment to heart moving forward.

Madeline Claravall
Sydney Davis
Reese Ramler
Lillia Clay

LHStoday • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in