Categories:

Fast-Paced Spending and Consumption Influences Teenagers

A Dive Into Alternative Solutions in the Face of Daily Inflation
Teenagers are often handed the responsibility of paying for their own gas and outside food. With rising prices, how does budgeting come into play for adolescents?
Lorelei Wise

“What can I get started for you?” That is always the question. It is how we start the day and end our nights, constant variables in our sources of stimuli.

We live in a fast-paced world of constant consumption. We are always faced with fleeting dilemmas. What do we want? Where should we go? What size is that? 

Teens are particularly susceptible to this mindset. Whether it be social media, or yet another homework assignment, we seek what is convenient. We look for what is a fast, and often affordable solution. 

But what do we do when these affordable options are now almost unachievable?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, fast food prices are up 47% since 2014. Gasoline prices have fluctuated, but with a general upward trend, gaining up to a $4.04 inflation rate at its peak. 

Inflation is the practice of raising prices of a particular good or service based on the need for profit in the climate in an economy, while maintaining the same quantity or quality as the item with the previously lower price.

Learning the importance of responsibility is crucial for teenagers, and those developing fiscal skills. However, the increase in price of everyday goods places a strain on the realistic range of spending.

Another imperative point to the discussion of inflation in a consumptive economy is the temptation of spending that obliges teens specifically. Whether it be the general lack of meticulous budget on a teen’s behalf, or the repetitive advertisements that bombard adults, the fast culture mentality our society induces takes a toll on our budget.

While not directly the same cause, the impulsivity of teenagers can serve as a paralleled variable for the commercialization of middle class America. How can we escape this sense of immediacy? How to we transition to more thoughtful choices, while not spending disproportionately? 

The answer lies in how we define “convenience”. It may be convenient to drive a short distance, or stop by McDonald’s on the way home for work.

However, sustainable and secure budgeting it within reach. For teenagers, for working families, for a limited budget.

By destigmatizing the idea that grocery shopping or thoughtful planning is only for those with enough time or money. Approximately 36.6% of adults consumer fast food each day. Our society tilts on the axis of rapidity, and values urgency over quality.  

Most Americans view this weekly shopping or fresh food as an ideal for suburbia, beyond reach. This is both false and harmful to the way we spend money, and adjust our mindset on society. Take time to weigh your options. Do you need your car to get there? What might you be able to purchase in bulk? 

Fast and cheap meals can be available, rooted within your own home. Lower gasoline spending can be reduced, with consideration. If we all allow ourselves to slow down, to remove ourselves from the American culture we are swarmed in, sustainability is found. Within our budgets, our mental health, and our routines. 

So give yourself this gift of consideration. You will be thanking yourself, not just your server.

This poll has ended.

How Often Do You Buy Fast Food?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Lorelei Wise
Lorelei Wise, Clubs Editor
Lorelei Wise is a junior, and is excited for her first year as a reporter for LHS Publications. She enjoys reading, writing, listening to music, and hanging out with friends and family. She is proud to serve as Vice President of HOSA and Key Club, as well as Treasurer of Earth Club. She is additionally involved in band, theater, and National Honor Society. After high school, Lorelei plans to study neuroscience and psychology, with the hopes of attaining an M.D. in one of those areas.
Jayda Wulff
Jayda Wulff, Reporter
Jayda Wulff is a junior and it is her second year in publications. She plays soccer in and out of high school. She goes to Europe every summer to play. Jayda has a big passion for her publications class. Her first year in publications she won two SNO awards. Outside of school and sports she enjoys hanging out with her friends and family. When she graduates she wants to go to the Air Force and work on missiles and planes. Going into her junior year she hopes to win more awards and stay focused.