My personal, in-depth ranking of six of Wong Kar Wai's films.
My personal, in-depth ranking of six of Wong Kar Wai’s films.
Maryiah Shorter

Wong Kar Wai Movies Ranked

My personal ranking of six of Wong Kar Wai’s movies
Categories:
Andy Lau as Wah in 'As Tears Go By'
6. As Tears Go By

I loved the cinematography that’s present throughout the film. The fighting scenes add something serious to the film, whereas the romance and “tear-jerker” scenes add something sentimental into the mix. Usually with older films, I love how the romantic aspect plays into those films. With this film though, it’s a very weird and uncomfortable experience, at least for me. Overall, I really enjoyed everyone’s acting in this film and wish this film could be recognized more, as I don’t hear many mention it amongst other WKW films.

Andy Lau as Wah in ‘As Tears Go By’ (Provided by Kino Lorber and In-Gear Films)
Carina Lau as Leung Fung-Ying in Days of Being Wild
5. Days of Being Wild

When I finished this film, I was left confused. I thought to myself, “How could we have witnessed the journey of our 3 main protagonists and how each of their stories unfold and connect with each other?” It took me a minute to realize why I couldn’t comprehend the film I had been watching for over an hour. I immediately thought about how the title “Days Of Being Wild” is incorporated into the story and how the main message of the film can be interpreted as a way of saying, “Life moves on.” In contrast, the characters have complex lives that in one way or another, pull together to create a mini universe of events. Wong enhances the feeling of love and other emotions in very different ways through his direction. 

Carina Lau as Leung Fung-Ying in Days of Being Wild (Provided by In-Gear Films)
Faye Wong as Wang Jing-wen in '2046'
4. 2046

Throughout “2046,” I often felt feelings of pity towards the three main characters. They each had someone they loved but weren’t able to have those feelings reciprocated in the end. On the other hand, I could understand those feelings of  “one-sided love.” The cinematography adds a sense of nostalgia, like a lot of Wong’s other films.

Faye Wong as Wang Jing-wen in ‘2046’ (Provided by Mei Ah Entertainment and 20th Century Fox)
Faye Wong as Faye in 'Chungking Express'
3. Chungking Express

The film understands that love isn’t as easy as two people locking eyes. The cinematography and visuals in this movie are so captivating and beautiful. From the way Wong Kar Wai shoots the simplest of scenes to the soundtrack with nostalgic and romantic tunes, there was something that was just so captivating when I watched this film for the first time. The film felt very genuine and sweet. 

Faye Wong as Faye in ‘Chungking Express’ (Provided by Jet Tone Productions, Miramax, and Rolling Thunder)
Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung in 'In the Mood for Love'
2. In The Mood For Love

In this film, we are shown the sadness and beauty of “forbidden love.” We are introduced to two good people who don’t want to become like their partners and have an affair. But as I already know, Wong Kar Wai understands that life isn’t about heroes and villains or good and bad. Wong Kar Wai’s world is about the in-between, the uncertainty and confusion of life. That’s why we see the two main characters fall in love. It’s sad and beautiful because a love that is forbidden is one that has the strongest connections because you know it’s wrong but can’t deny the feelings you have. Which makes the pain of knowing you cannot show those emotions, even more hurtful.

Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung in ‘In the Mood for Love’ (Provided by Jet Tone Productions, Paradis Films, and Block 2 Pictures)
Michelle Reis as the Hitman's Partner in 'Fallen Angels'
1. Fallen Angels

The character’s appear to be more “bizarre” and “exaggerated” compared to Wong’s previous other films. In my opinion, Wong seems to deal with feelings of loneliness in a more unique way compared to his other films of work. When it comes to camera work, Wong makes sure to use any angle that seems best for each scene, which I found interesting since that method of cinematography isn’t heard of.  There seems to be no plot for the film, but it is only based on people who want to be perceived a certain way by others.

Michelle Reis as the Hitman’s Partner in ‘Fallen Angels’ (Provided by Jet Tone Productions and Kino Lorber)
Maryiah Shorter
Maryiah Shorter, Reporter
Maryiah Shorter is a senior and this is her first year in publications. During her free time, she enjoys listening to music, singing, dancing, and watching foreign films. Maryiah also enjoys meeting new people and loves everything about fashion. Maryiah loves being in Choir and has been since the 6th grade. After high school, Maryiah plans to attend SLU and major in music.