Categories:

‘If You Look Good, You Play Good’

What goes into the equipment that helps football players express themselves
Cody McMullen (left), Caleb Orcutt (middle), and Caiden Galati (right) wear different styles of equipment.
Lilly Brown

When it comes to fashion and sports, almost everyone has heard the phrase; “If you look good, you play good.”

Nowadays, this is taken to the fullest length.

In football, there is plenty of extra equipment that can help with your performance on the field. There are arm sleeves that save you from turf burns, helmets that can help prevent head injuries, and mouthguards that protect your teeth.

What do all of these things have in common other than to keep the player safe? They are extremely customizable.

The bright colors, the intimidating look, all factors that make players feel good when they play on the field. Throughout the last couple of years, there have been more and more ways to express yourself with your equipment.

This is no exception to high school football. Players around the team wear whatever they need to feel ready for game day.

Jack Ryan wears arm sleeves. (Lilly Brown)

One of the more popular equipment pieces among players are arm sleeves. They help to make sure that the player is safe from turf burns, caused when limbs create too much friction with the playing surface. These are used for multiple purposes, other than preventing turf burns. Inside linebacker Jack Ryan wears them on both of his arms, for looks, and for safety purposes.

I wear them for looks and so I don’t get any turf burns,” Ryan said.

Another popular choice for equipment is tape. This includes wrist tape, ankle tape, and turf tape.

Wrist tape and turf tape are used to prevent the previously mentioned turf burn. The ankle tape (also known as “spats”) helps with keeping ankles straight.

Running back Jaylen Mack uses all three of these to his advantage.

“I wear turf tape and wrist tape for a mix of protection on my arms and legs from turf burn. I wear ankle spats because I have ankle stability problems,” Mack said.

Jaylen Mack wears wrist tape, turf tape and ankle spats. (MaryKate Stroud)

Health wise, the most important part of the football uniform is the helmet. It is necessary for players to wear them because of the head trauma that could be caused by playing football.

Helmets significantly reduce the stress the head goes through when playing. Even these helmets are customizable. Players throughout the eagles’ team wear different helmet models to fit their heads. Some of the most popular helmet models among players include the Riddell SpeedFlex, Riddell Axiom, and the Schutt F7. Players can also wear visors to add an extra layer of protection for their eyes.

Parker Sethaler
Parker Sethaler, Reporter
Parker Sethaler is a senior, and is in his fourth year of publications. Making videos is his specialty, but he also writes stories. Parker currently has two jobs; one working at Dierbergs, and the other working at GymQuarters Gymnastics Center, where he coaches ninja courses. In his free time, Parker enjoys watching football or hanging out with his friends. In his future, he hopes to start his own videography business.
MaryKate Stroud
MaryKate Stroud, Reporter
MaryKate Stroud is a sophomore, and this is her first time in publications. MaryKate is one of the  managers for girls Varsity Basketball. MaryKate is also the President Elect for FCCLA. MaryKate enjoys doing sports photography and traveling. MaryKate’s favorite place that she traveled to was Italy in the summer of ´24. MaryKate plans on going to college after high school and is currently indecisive on where she wants to go, but she knows that she wants to go for broadcasting and human resources. 
Lilly Brown
Lilly Brown, Editor-in-Chief of The Talon
Lilly Brown is a senior, and is the editor-in-chief of the Talon yearbook as well as the social media manager for LHS Publications. This is her third year in publications and her second year as an editor. Lilly is also a part of girls swim, NHS, and Link Crew. Lilly also works at the Renaud outside of school as a gym attendant and front desk worker. In her free time she enjoys going to the gym, reading, puzzling, and playing Sims. Lilly plans on attending State Technical College of Missouri and pursuing a Digital Marketing degree after graduation.