Categories:

Seniors Get a Head Start on College Process

More than 85 colleges represented at college fair hosted at LHS
Two students chat with a representative from Missouri State's College of Business.
Two students chat with a representative from Missouri State’s College of Business.
Marley Higlen

With college applications looming over the horizon, upperclassmen are starting to make decisions about their futures.

On Oct. 1, WSD hosted its annual Missouri Association for College Admission Counseling (MOACAC) College Fair at LHS in the main and auxiliary gyms. More than 85 colleges were represented, as well as trade schools and the U.S. Navy. Students from all four WSD high schools attended the event at their designated time. 

“It was nice that there were people that I could directly talk to if I had questions,” Anna Fleetwood (12) said. “And it was a really easy way to communicate with the colleges.”

The college fair was helpful to everyone in different ways.

For Sebastian Casas, a junior who is graduating early, it helped him see his options.

“I wanted to go to the college fair to see all of the colleges that are accessible to me,” Casas said. Casas also thinks that the fair gives many colleges a wider reach. “A lot of people underestimate those colleges because they have never heard of them.” 

Shaun Dobratz (12) agrees with the idea that college fairs help give these schools a wider reach.

“I feel like it gives everyone a chance, especially juniors, to see other colleges and other opportunities that can be offered as well,” Dobratz said. 

Making sure that students know all of their options is important, assistant principal Steve Pryor said the college fair is a great way to help students see their options. Students agree and appreciate that many colleges made the trek to LHS. 

“[College fairs] are a good way to show kids that there’s more options than just the ones you hear about from word of mouth,” Fleetwood said. “If you can physically see 85 colleges, it opens your eyes to the fact that you have a lot of opportunities.”

The college fair allows students to get a broader look on all of the different colleges available. This allows them to see the many different opportunities and availability they can look through and be able to decide what college is the best fit for them, no matter what career path they choose.

Sophia McCormack
Sophia McCormack, Reporter
Sophia McCormack is a freshman in high school. This is her first year of publications, and she is currently taking Intro to Journalism. In her free time, Sophia likes to read and write. She plans to volunteer at her parish’s middle school youth group every other Wednesday. In school, she is involved in theater and Key Club. On the weekends she enjoys hanging out with friends and going to youth group.
Marley Higlen
Marley Higlen, Reporter
Marley Higlen is a dedicated and driven sophomore. This is her second year in publications and she will be the sports writer and reporter for publications this year. Higlen loves being in select treble choir and being on drama clubs exec board. All Higlen hopes for this year is to make a difference in her community whether that's big or small. Higlen’s older brother moved into collage at the beginning of the school year but that only makes her more determined to not just live up to him but continue to make the impact that he always wanted in this school. Higlen loves to work, fish and travel with family and friends.