Greyson Howarth (far right) and his teammates battle for a loose puck. (Sruthi Ramesh)
Greyson Howarth (far right) and his teammates battle for a loose puck.

Sruthi Ramesh

Liberty Hockey Team Hits The Ice

The new team is composed of Liberty High and Frontier Middle students

December 16, 2021

There is a new sport at LHS that is creating excitement among the school community. Our school now has a representative hockey team that was established this school year.

The team, which was formed from a Facebook group this summer, has already played two games. They defeated Timberland in their first, and tied Fort Zumwalt West in the second. The group is made up of 23 students from Liberty High School and Frontier Middle School, and practices every Thursday. 

“The team looks really good and it’s exciting to be on a team for a school,” sophomore Zach Chandler said. 

Prior to this season, students from Liberty who wanted to play high school hockey had to play on Timberland’s team. 

The team is still in its early stages and the coach and team members are still finding out strengths and weaknesses. However, some members have already played together on different teams creating a stronger bond. They are currently playing other teams in nearby schools, with more official games starting this spring.     

“It was really fun to see everyone show up to play,” sophomore Jordan Pelphrey said about the Eagles’ first practice. “Everyone was really proud that we finally had a team to represent.”

Nick Vaughn (#77) and Cole McCune wait for the faceoff during a game against Timberland. (Sruthi Ramesh)

The team practices at Wentzville Ice Arena every Thursday night and is coached by Grant Haddock. The next upcoming game is against Francis Howell Central on Jan. 3 at the Wentzville Ice Arena. 

“The coach is really understanding of our different levels but still pushes us really hard to improve,” Pelphrey said.

2021 Liberty Hockey Roster

Jude Bill – Frontier

Joey Smith – Liberty

Dylan Handlan – Liberty

Luke Dagenais – Frontier

Greyson Howarth – Frontier

Max Westhoff – Frontier

Peyton Shreve – Liberty

Zach Pruss – Frontier 

Carter Crow – Liberty

Carson Brassel – Frontier

Jordan Pelphrey – Liberty

Goalie Quinn Meyer is one of the many middle school students that play on the Liberty hockey team. (Sruthi Ramesh)

Quinn Meyer – Frontier

Christian Visney – Liberty 

Garrett Katz – Frontier

Owen Johnson – Frontier 

Caiden Darby – Frontier 

Cole McCune – Liberty

Nick Vaughn – Liberty 

Harrison Haddock – Liberty 

Zach Chandler – Liberty 

Luc Girard – Liberty 

Keaton Howarth – Liberty 

Nathan Charnes – Frontier