After School Satan Club program focuses on science, critical thinking, creative arts, and good works for the community.
Landon Woodson

Another Side of Religion

Other religious clubs are offered in schools around the country

Satanism. Many people don’t know what it actually is. They think that it is full of devil worshiping, baby sacrificing, evil, and bad people. Now with any group of people, there will be a fair share of bad people. But Satanism is nowhere near what is described above. The After School Satan Club is no different. 

Before we get into what the club is, formulate your own opinion on if you would like the club to be in Wentzville schools. I asked a couple students to do the same and here is what they said:

“I wouldn’t really care because it doesn’t have anything to do with me and people can follow whoever they want as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone,” said Addison Craven, Junior & Catholic.

“We already have a Christian club so it’s not breaking or bending any rules,” said Rage Putzler, Senior & Satanist.

The Satanic Temple have introduced their own after school club to combat the preexisting religious clubs in school. On the official TST (The Satanic Temple) website, they say “The After School Satan Club does not believe in introducing religion into public schools and will only open a club if other religious groups are operating on campus. ASSC exists to provide a safe and inclusive alternative to the religious clubs that use threats of eternal damnation to convert school children to their belief system. Unlike our counterparts, who publicly measure their success in young children’s “professions of faith,” the After School Satan Club program focuses on science, critical thinking, creative arts, and good works for the community. While engaged in all of these activities, we want clubgoers to have a good time.”

After hearing about what this club actually is, here is what those same students had to say about the possibility of having it in Wentzville schools:

“I would attend a meeting to see my peers views because I love to learn about how others view the world” said Craven.

“I would go to it, just as long as it doesn’t conflict with any of my other commitments,” said Putzler.

Many people wonder why the religion is called “Satanism” or why the institution is called “The Satanic Temple” even. According to the official website, “Satan is a symbol of the Eternal Rebel in opposition to arbitrary authority, forever defending personal sovereignty even in the face of insurmountable odds,” and when asked the question of “Why Satan?” TST responded with “To call our club any alternative such as ‘science club’ or ‘atheist club,’ which has been suggested by many, would be disingenuous and akin to hiding. Satan, to us, is not a supernatural being. Instead, Satan is a literary figure that represents a metaphorical construct of rejecting tyranny over the human mind and spirit.”

Members of the Satanic Temple follow the seven tenets. Those tenets are listed on their website as follows:

1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
  2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
  3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
  4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one’s own.
  5. Beliefs should conform to one’s best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one’s beliefs.
  6. People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one’s best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
  7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

Now those of which who actually do believe in Satan and worship the devil are called just that, Devil Worshippers. They may be labeled as “Satanic,” but they are not Satanists. Satanists advocate for religious freedom, separation of church and state, bodily autonomy, compassion/empathy, scientific reasoning, and much more.

How would you feel about Wentzville schools offering an After School Satan Club?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

View Comments (19)
Landon Woodson
Landon Woodson, Reporter
Landon Woodson is a senior and this is their second time being a part of the publications team here at Liberty. Outside of publications, he is also a part of theatre here at Liberty. They enjoy listening to music as well as playing music. Their favorite band is twenty one pilots and they love watching She-Ra and The Owl House. She plans to go to Mizzou for tech theatre.

• A

Alex | Jan 10, 2024 at 2:01 pm

The entirety of this “After-school Satan club” is as derogatory as it is self-contradictory. The very word Satan in not only the title but of the entirety of the counterculture group of Satanism is an act of disrespect to religion such as Judaism, and Christianity. The word Satan from its Hebrew conception means “Opposition, to obstruct and oppose, and opposition to all that is good”. For a movement that preaches inclusivity, fairness, and well being, using a word such as Satan is as ridiculous as a group of Anarchists using George Washington as their mascot. If the true teachings of this club are what you claim in this article, it is “Science, critical thinking, creative arts, and good for the community” Why not simply call this philosophy club? The answer is to garner reactions, to hate, and to implant a spirit of rebellion in this school. All of which have no place in a school like Liberty.

Reply
  • N

Natalie P. | Nov 14, 2023 at 12:21 pm

It’s not a bad thing, but calling it satanism doesn’t give off the right message. It sounds like an interesting club, but I’m deterred because of the things commonly associated with satan. Basically, great club, great message, but interesting name choice.

Reply
  • A

Abby | Nov 13, 2023 at 6:05 am

Where did all the votes go? Last week, well over 200+ selected “I don’t want this anywhere near my school”. Now it’s showing in the mid-100’s? Are you engineering the results to portray favor for your narrative? Even with the manipulation, the percentage against this club is still over 75%. Thank God.

Reply
  • K

Katy | Nov 11, 2023 at 9:24 am

This is a fantastic idea. My kids would have belonged to this group if they weren’t already graduated. There should be something like this for everyone to attend, no matter the age. HOWEVER. I would be leery of not having an officer or 2 around if this comes to fruition. There are too many crazy’s out there that will try to do something.

Reply
  • A

Anna Gleckler | Nov 9, 2023 at 10:37 pm

Why not just call it religion club? The description of this club would match that name a lot better and appear as more open minded brining in so many different perspectives! Unless “Satan Club” is meaning to allude to audience interested in the evil of exactly who the name is intending.

Reply
  • A

A local Mom of Teens | Nov 9, 2023 at 12:41 pm

Young Person,
    Thank you for putting together such a nice Opinion Piece for your school. Critical thinking will take you very far. Good Job.

While I don’t want a Satan-loving group getting to use Public School Resources, your point is well taken. Schools and the public in the US have been pushed into Judaeo-Christian ethos by parties that seem to forget that we are founded on the principle of Separation of Church and State.

Please continue your educational pursuits.

Reply
  • D

drilaurenti | Nov 8, 2023 at 8:23 pm

umm.. yeah no this is weird. do this somewhere other then school.

Reply
  • D

drilaurenti | Nov 8, 2023 at 8:19 pm

umm.. no. do this somewhere else , not at school

Reply
  • S

Santosh Manikandan | Nov 8, 2023 at 7:52 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that a Satan Club only exists for outrageous shock value and to upset students of faith. If you want an atheists club, fine, but why align yourself with an archetype of evil, that being Satan?

Reply
  • A

Anna Benninghofen | Nov 8, 2023 at 7:39 pm

As a student who just started at liberty High School I would like to address that Satanism as stated above is designed to “combat the preexisting. Religious clubs….” The word “combat” is in no fashion resembling the word “unity”. Unity through chaos or discord is anarchy. Thus, they cannot co exist. This is demonstrated through their own “Tenants”. By the opening statement of this introduction they have already violated their first tenant. The second tenant clearly has an issue with rules and institutions. Btw, isn’t Liberty High School an institution? So their own rules say they don’t need to respect the rules of the school. Tenant 4 says they have the right to offend people. I believe in free speech, however, once again, isn’t this combative? This author states that Satanism is not “devil worshiping “. And they are right. Satanism is the worship of self, the denial of a larger spiritual being, and the use of science to give reason for selfishness. Should they say there is a spiritual connection to it, then they do acknowledge there is a “good God” and a “bad Devil” and they are knowingly choosing the “bad Devil”. Satanism is not Devil Worship, but it can and does lead to it. Anything that willingly goes against and combats Almighty God is of the devil, otherwise known as Satan. This club promotes selfishness, rebellion against institutions, and the willingness to offend based on opinion. It’s sounds like some one who wants to be god and not have to answer to anyone, yet have everyone answer to them…you know like Satan. The bottom line, apart from spiritual opinions, is that this club creates division and looks to be combative. I’m pretty sure this goes against the schools community guidelines.

Reply
  • K

Keena Boschert | Nov 8, 2023 at 10:15 am

If our district makes the decision to ban a club like this from existing purely based on Christian convictions, then I don’t think we could truly say our district isn’t religious. A school board would be required to look at this from an unbiased standpoint, and when you do so, there is no problem. Why should Christian beliefs triumph over any other religion, especially in a country with the freedom of religion written into its constitution? If we are allowed to have clubs based on Christianity, which goes against the beliefs of other religions, why can’t we have a club that goes against the beliefs of Christians? Why does Christianity get to oppress other religions? Just some things to think about before you make a decision on this article.

Reply
    • T

Trenbolone Acetate | Nov 14, 2023 at 10:04 pm

Keena, I implore you to state your case regarding how the philosophies of Satanism described in this article constitute a “religion.” Religion is conceptually a set of ideals/beliefs people adopt in order to worship a deity/deities–yet in this article it is clearly stated that within the “religion” of Satanism, no such deity exists. Satan instead exists as a mere symbol of the “religion”, nothing more, nothing less. There is no worshipping going on, or belief in the supernatural. Thus, prohibiting the function of this club by the district would not be “religious oppression,” as Satanism does not qualify as a religion. Suppose someone started a club called “Hitler Club,” with identical ideals as Satanism, except the figure was just Hitler. If the district took it down, what would you say then? I encourage you to lay down your preconceptions and ask yourself: does any universe exist where Satan is a better representation than Albert Einstein for these philosophies?

Reply
      • K

Keena Boschert | Nov 15, 2023 at 8:54 am

In response to your comment, thank you for the criticism. I would like to recognize, though, that nontheistic religions exist. Religions are able to exist without a god, so long as there is a driving force guiding their morals, which in this case is science. Do you also reject the idea of Buddhism or Taoism simply because they do not follow a god? I imagine the 520 million Buddhists in the world would disagree with your argument. I urge you to review the website of the Satanic Temple, which features frequently asked questions! A whole section is dedicated to how they are, in fact, recognized as a religion. They state that they provide “…a narrative structure by which we contextualize our lives and works,” and ask “Are we supposed to believe that those who pledge submission to an ethereal supernatural deity hold to their values more deeply than we?”
        I would also like to address your “Hitler club” remark. No matter how you look at it, Hitler was a real person. He committed genocide and murdered millions. This is a fact, unchanging no matter how you look at it. Satan is not a physical being, and to many in the world, he does not exist. You cannot take a real person who has tried to wipe out an entire group of people to a being that, to some, does not even exist. Satan is not a real person, Hitler is. You cannot confuse the two in order to use buzzwords like “Hitler Club” to further your argument. This example is made poorly, and I truly hope you can see that.
        Sorry for the long reply… But I had a lot to say. Whether you like it or not, Satanism is a religion. It is a religion with morals and beliefs. And because it is a religion, it would, in fact, be oppression to silence it simply because of the preconceived notions of Christians. If you have read all of this thank you!! Have a good day!!

Reply
        • T

Trenbolone Acetate | Nov 17, 2023 at 4:24 pm

I will attempt to keep this simple and structured.

1) A religion is defined as “the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.” If you disagree, this discussion has devolved into a definition battle, and is not one that is worth having. I will make my points with this definition in mind. It is evident that the root, the origin, the (0,0) of religion is a belief of the supernatural. Believing in a God is not a criteria for religion–believing in the supernatural, on the other hand, is. Satanism does not subscribe to such beliefs; in fact, they hold the opposite ones, using logic, reasoning, and critical thinking to attempt to dismantle many supernatural claims and beliefs. If the philosophy of Satanism does not believe in the supernatural, then how is it a religion?

2) “Religions are able to exist without a god, so long as there is a driving force guiding their morals, which in this case is science.” Not a correct definition of religion; you have just described a personal worldview/philosophy. Even if this was an appropriate way to classify religions, science cannot possibly be a driving force for morals, and thus Satanism would not be dubbed a religion. In a world with a supreme being, or supernatural, what is lawful and unlawful is objective–there is no wiggle room. Whereas within a secular worldview (one preferred by science), there are no objective laws of the universe. What is moral and immoral is subjective to each human. If you can prove to me how science shows an objective morality, maybe I’d understand your point slightly better. However, I have disgressed from my original point, and should just restate my point that you’re mixing up personal worldview/philosophy with religion.

3) “You cannot take a real person who has tried to wipe out an entire group of people to a being that, to some, does not even exist.” Except, I can. I can do this because whether or not something objectively happened is irrelevant; how provocative something is, however, to the general population IS relevant. To most Christians (63%ish of the U.S. pop.), Satan is a real figure, and a present threat. I wish there were statistics on this, but I would bet my family’s 401k that most modern people are more afraid of the name Satan than the name Hitler. If the school board is banning Satan Club, it’s not because of religion, but because of it’s intrinsic provocativeness, just like Hitler Club.

Also, I appreciate your promptness in response, as well as your in depth critique on my points. Even if I don’t agree with you, I respect that you have taken the time to think critically about why my points are flawed; it’s good for the mind. Anyways, have a great day.

Reply
        • S

Santosh Manikandan | Nov 17, 2023 at 4:54 pm

It seems funny to me that someone not at all educated in Buddhism or Daoism comments on these religions. Although some sects of these religions do not believe in a God, they still believe in the divine and have a set of morals and beliefs based on that. Satanism has no set of true beliefs (of it’s own); it is just merely a grouping of people who associate themselves with the name of Satan to upset the religious and moral majority

Reply
  • A

Anthony Bruns | Nov 6, 2023 at 9:03 pm

Well written, but there are some major flaws with satanism as an ideology, the most glaring being that satanists claim to reject “arbitrary authority,” while at the same time making up arbitrary moral tenets that they believe other people should follow. If there is no God, then there can be no objective moral truth. Nothing would be truly good or evil, it would just be a matter of preference largely influenced by culture and evolutionary brain wiring. The basic reason is because you cannot derive an “ought” from an “is,” as David Hume noted. In other words, science has no hope of telling us how things ought to be, it can only tell us how things are. So, if satanists are correct about God not existing, then the moral tenets that they preach are completely subjective and arbitrary. Thus, satanism is self-contradictory.
    Another thing I take issue with is the church of satan’s view on the relationship between church and state. “A wall of separation between church and state,” does not mean that God should be completely removed from government and politics. That would be impossible because laws are, in principle, based on moral claims, and moral claims have to be based on something transcendent if they’re to have any real weight. John Adams said, “Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” Instead of establishing a national religion, the founding fathers envisioned a people that would hold themselves to a higher, divine moral law, and vote in accordance with those principles. Sure, that leaves the big question of “Which God?” That’s a valid question and a really important conversation to have, but the solution is not to go on as if God isn’t necessary.
    Additionally, the idea that public schools rejecting an after school satan club would somehow be religious favoritism just doesn’t add up. A club of atheists connecting over science, critical thinking, arts, and good services isn’t a big deal. What is a little concerning, however, is the fact that the atheists insist on it being associated with the figure of satan. It’s obviously an attempt to be provocative. Satanists defend it by claiming satan is a literary figure who symbolizes rebellion against arbitrary authority (there’s nothing arbitrary about an all-knowing, all-powerful, perfectly good, eternal being), but in doing so they neglect the majority of satan’s attributes within the literary source–the Bible. “Satan” is a Hebrew word that translates to “adversary” in English. His very name describes his opposition to all that is good. Every evil and cruel thing to ever take place was cheered on by satan. Satanists don’t believe the Bible to be true, of course, but they’re choosing to represent themselves with a Biblical figure. Thus, ignoring the Biblical context would be cherry picking. It would be like someone trying to start a public speaking club and naming it after Hitler, because Hitler was a passionate and effective public speaker. The problem isn’t the public speaking, it’s the association with Hitler, a horrible historical figure.
    Finally, if we ever were to have an after school satan club, I would really hope that they would welcome people that disagree with them to join and engage in respectful debate and dialogue considering how highly they value “critical thinking.”

Reply
  • T

Tmoney | Nov 6, 2023 at 3:55 pm

I dont think its a good idea. Jesus better “¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reply
  • S

Student | Nov 6, 2023 at 12:24 pm

This was very interesting to read. I hope that anyone who votes and/or comments actually took the time to read it before making a decision from only the title. The idea of a club like this is not to be truly devil-worshiping, but to defy the religions that have made their way into schools and be accepting and inclusive.

Reply
  • M

Mason Moore | Nov 6, 2023 at 10:16 am

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard

Reply