Black History Month: What Do Students Think?

Students share their thoughts on Black History Month
Black History Month evokes a variety of responses
Anthony Bruns

This February marks the 98th public and private salute to Black History in the U.S.

Since its creation, Black History Month has been a source of controversy, receiving both praise and scrutiny. While BHM is more widely accepted and celebrated today, the conversation surrounding its existence is ongoing.

While many celebrities support BHM, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex and actress, have summed up the commonly held sentiment nicely. “Some may question why this is needed or why we think this is important,” said the couple. “For us, it is about education and awareness.”

Morgan Freeman, an actor and filmmaker, is one of the more popular critics of BHM, calling it “ridiculous.” Freeman said, “You’re going to relegate my history to a month? […] I don’t want a Black History Month. Black history is American History.”

In light of this, what do Liberty students have to say?

Aubrey McKinney
Aubrey McKinney (9)

“I think it’s important and needs to be taught. It’s important to remember what they went through and how they’ve reached where they are in society.”

Aubrey McKinney (Anthony Bruns)
Tarez Singleton
Tarez Singleton (11)

“I like it because it gives representation to my kind. I don’t think it’s needed, but it’s celebrating me, so of course I’m going to like it. It’s like a second birthday for a month.”

Tarez Singleton (Anthony Bruns)
Zak Kash
Zak Kach (12)

“I think it’s a great way to remember all the historically significant black people that have done things for America and African Americans.”

Zak Kash (Anthony Bruns)
Connor Place
Connor Place (12)

“I think we should be looking at all history every month rather than singling out specific months for recognition.”

Connor Place (Anthony Bruns)
Victoria Grana
Victoria Grana (11)

“I think it’s a good way to celebrate things from the past that have helped different races become more equal, and celebrate people who’ve made big differences in history like Martin Luther King.”

Victoria Grana (Anthony Bruns)
Cannon Cunningham
Cannon Cunningham (12)

“I think it’s a really good thing, but at the same time it’s contradictory. Why would we only have one month when we can celebrate it year round? I think it can be close minded and suggest that our culture is only significant during one month.”

Cannon Cunningham (Anthony Bruns)
Mason Leone
Mason Leone (12)

“It’s cool. I enjoy watching the History Channel shows during it. I learned that Martin Luther King was good at pool.”

Mason Leone (Anthony Bruns)
Dayton Niswanger
Dayton Niswanger (9)

“I feel like it’s very much necessary because everyone deserves their own place to be acknowledged, especially after all the trauma that they’ve been through.”

Dayton Niswanger (Anthony Bruns)