Eagles Soar as Spring Sports Begin

Sport tryouts are underway as student-athletes prepare for their upcoming seasons
Distance runners run drills during the second day of track and field practice.
Caitlin McDonnell

Hundreds of athletes are trying out for a variety of spring sports during the week of Feb. 26. These sports include: the new boys volleyball team, boys baseball, girls soccer, boys tennis, and boys and girls track and field. Student-athletes were all in preparation last week for this week’s spring sports tryouts.

With athletes preparing, coaches and assistant coaches keep an eye on students’ academics and physical well-being.

Junior Patrick Kesler goes to bump the ball during volleyball tryouts on Feb. 28.

All spring sport tryout participants are required to pass a physical, impact test, have a good academic history, a strong attendance, and more depending on the sport.

Tennis coach Beau Hill states how academics are just as important as the actual tryouts.

“On the day of tryouts, I and my fellow coaches make sure all athletes meet the requirements and have a good academic history,” Hill said.

For the first time ever, a boy’s volleyball team will be included as a spring sport for Liberty. With a great turnout of 30 athletes on the first day of tryouts, and at least 20 athletes on the second, the boy’s volleyball team is expected to have a great turnout. Just as with any other spring sport, the boy’s volleyball team will feature a C team, junior varsity team, and varsity team.

“My first day of tryouts went very well, I didn’t get the ball as much as I would have hoped to due to the number of people here,

This poll has ended.

Are you Doing a Spring Sport?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

but I think I did pretty well.” Patrick Kesler (11).

Not only did boys volleyball have a great turnout, but other sports had a big turnout as well. Track and field had many returning athletes, along with a variety of new athletes who were interested in learning more about track and field. For those athletes, and all returning athletes, you are guaranteed a spot on the team.

Rackets flew throughout the week as tennis athletes ran drills and practiced their serves. Coach Beau Hill and coach Teodoro Campos are watching closely this season, as they are only giving out 16 varsity spots this year. While tennis is also considered a non-cut sport athletes are soaring for a varsity position.

Sophomore Hayden Schwab runs to dugout during baseball tryouts on Feb. 28. (Caitlin McDonnell)

But rackets haven’t been the only thing flying through the air. Boy baseball athletes practice their swings and hits throughout the week as coaches keep records of each student’s previous successes and stats.

C-team baseball coach Dan Wheeler makes sure he keeps his eyes open for all athletes trying out.

“I try my best to watch everyone and encourage all athletes,” Wheeler said. “We have a ton of talent this year, it’s going to be a great year.”

Student-athletes are filled with excitement as this new year of spring sports begins. These Eagles are ready to make their mark on the field, and courts.

View Comments (1)
Amber Sethaler
Amber Sethaler, Reporter

Amber Sethaler is a junior, and this is her first year in journalism. Out of school, Amber spends her time working at GymQuarters Gymnastics Center, as a coach. Other than working, she loves to hang out with her friends and listen to music. She also loves shopping, and spending time with her family. When Amber graduates she wants to become a real estate agent. Amber's dream college is the University Of Missouri. She can't wait to learn more about journalism this year.

Caitlin McDonnell
Caitlin McDonnell, Reporter
Caitlin McDonnell is a junior and this her first year in journalism. She loves photography and graphic design as well as writing stories. Outside of school she works at a retail store, Maurices, where she helps many different people with fashion. In the summer she works as a lifeguard at Twin Chimneys Pool. During her free time she loves hanging out with friends and family, reading, and taking many photos of nature and people. When she graduates she wants to be a photographer for various events. She hopes to succeed in journalism and learn more about photography for the future.

• D

Diann Sethaler | Feb 29, 2024 at 9:49 am

Very well written and informative article! Keep up the great work!

Reply