The Senior Experience

A little reminder to anyone who may need it based on my experience of this past year
This period of my life has overall been an amazing year and I am incredibly grateful, I have a lot of people to thank for it too.
Bryleigh Conley

Have you ever seen a photo of yourself and think it doesn’t feel like you… even though it was you, not even a half a year ago? After seeing my senior yearbook photo, which was taken last summer, it didn’t feel like me anymore. I feel like a different person from when I started this school year. I chopped my hair, found new interests, reunited with friends, learned to feel more comfortable in areas I wasn’t comfortable with before, and finally found my path for after high school… after all of these little things (and many more) I feel happier than I have ever been and feel more like myself than ever before.

Although most of them may seem like physical changes or having to do with who I may hangout with, a lot of it had to do with the simple idea of patience and acceptance. For example, I’ve found this amazing group of people, people who I am super grateful to be friends with. Even though I wish I could have joined them sooner, I’ve accepted that now was the right time. Despite the fact that we are graduating in a few weeks and going separate places, I’m grateful for being able to spend the rest of my high school experience with them, and all the little senior events throughout the year.

I’ve also accepted that these are my last few weeks of high school, I remember going into this year terrified for the next. I didn’t want to think about going to college or getting older, or any of that stuff, so I pushed it off. However, I later realized that there is much more planned in life, and this little routine of high school doesn’t even take up half of it.

What I’m saying is, it’s okay to not have anything planned yet, or feel like you’re still figuring yourself out; don’t let the adults make it seem like you have to know everything right now, afterall you’re still a kid. I’m even still figuring it out myself. All it takes is time and patience, and once that time finally does come you’ll begin to understand what I mean.

They say senior year is the year you have fun and start to figure yourself out, maybe they weren’t wrong about that. I know I’ve been talking about specifically senior year being the time to figure things out, but even if you are in your last year and still don’t have everything exactly figured out it’s okay. Like I said, it takes time and patience so that time may not be now. You don’t have to know if you’re going to college, nor your future career, you have time.