Top Songs of the Past 12 Years

Reviewing the most popular songs of the last decade
Lets take a deep dive back to 2012 for the most played songs.
Let’s take a deep dive back to 2012 for the most played songs.
Anthony Rey

As the class of 2024’s last day of high school approaches, it’s time to reflect on the songs that helped us get through late night study sessions and early morning drives to school. Join me on a journey from 2012, when most of us were starting first grade, to the most recent chart-topping songs of this year.

Top Songs of the Last Decade
2012

Somebody That I Used To Know - By Gotye ft. Kimbra

Gotye stated that the song was "definitely drawn from various experiences I've had in relationships breaking up, and in the parts of the more reflective parts of the song, in the aftermath and the memory of those different relationships."

2013

Thrift Shop - By Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz

The lyrics tell of Macklemore's esteem for going to thrift shops and saving money, rather than flaunting expensive items like many rappers.

2014

Happy - By Pharrell Williams

The message in the song is to always be happy, and that the sky is the limit. When I was younger I always had big goals and I still believe it, and I keep reminding myself of the message in the song when I'm upset or angry.

2015

Uptwon Funk! - By Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars

It has a spirit akin to the 1980s-era funk music. Its lyrics address fashion, self-love and "traditional masculine bravado", performed in a sing-rapping style filled with metaphors, arrogance, charisma, and fun.

2016

Love Yourself - By Justin Bieber

Justin lays out all the reasons he's done with his ex: She uses his name to get into clubs, she hates his friends and she can't get enough of her reflection in the mirror.

2017

Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran describes a relationship that begins at a bar. Before long, the two people are dating; the woman's body and the man's impetuosity bring them together.

2018

God's Plan - By Drake

A feel-good track that discusses Drake's future. Being who he is in the industry, he knows that people want him to fail; however, God won't let him do that.

2019

Old Town Road - By Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus

Old Town Road represents the path to success, wealth, fortune, and all that good stuff he’s experiencing right now. Lil Nas X believes his opportunities are limitless.

2020

Blinding Lights - By The Weeknd

Blinding Lights is about how you want to see someone at night, and you’re intoxicated, and you’re driving to this person and you’re just blinded by streetlights,” he explained. “But nothing could stop you from trying to go see that person, because you’re so lonely. I don’t want to ever promote drunk driving, but that’s what the dark undertone is.”

2021

Levitating - Dua Lipa

"It's about having fun and meeting someone and falling in love and thinking, 'You've probably met me at the perfect time, let's just go for it," Dua Lipa explained in an interview with Apple Music.

2022

Heat Waves - By Glass Animals

Heat Waves is about a man who's failing at a romantic relationship. He doesn't feel like he's giving his partner the life that she deserves. It differs from the typical heartache song in that all of the angst is directed inwardly.

2023

Last Night - By Morgan Wallen

In the lyrics, Wallen mulls over a difficult conversation he had with a romantic partner on what would become their last night together. Guided by alcohol, the pair said everything they wanted. Despite putting it all out there, Wallen describes a lack of closure, hoping they will one day make their way back to one another.

What should be the top song of 2024?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.