Categories:

Before the Puff: Seniors and Juniors Prepare for the Upcoming Game

Students begin getting ready for the annual powder puff game
Jenna Handland (12) sprints across the field, during last year's powder puff game. The seniors won the game. 48-46.
Jenna Handland (12) sprints across the field, during last year’s powder puff game. The seniors won the game. 48-46.
Sydney Davis

Powder Puff is a school tradition that gives the female juniors and seniors the opportunity to sign up to participate in a game of flag football. With bragging rights on the line, this year’s game takes place Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at the football field. 

Prices will be $5 on entry and food will be available to purchase. All money earned will go towards Senior Grad Night for the Class of 2025. Organized by parents, the practices and development of the game is managed by senior students.

Liberty Publications is hosting this livestream of the game. The stream will also feature live broadcasters Mason Molitor and Wesley Bartlow. who will provide play-by-play during the game.

Senior girls celebrate their victory after the powder puff game. (Sydney Davis)

Our female student body had the opportunity to sign up to participate in this tradition and play in the game. All of the students who will be participating in the football game are all coached by football players.

“I decided to help out just cause I thought it would be fun, and I like coaching, and I just like going out there and having fun,” Jack Ryan (12) said.

Ryan is one of the senior coaches, as well as a varsity football player. This is his second year of being a part of Powder Puff. Last year he participated as a junior. This year Ryan decided to try out coaching instead of being a part of the dance/cheer team taking a new approach to this tradition.

Many of the students who are participating are doing it just for the fun of the game, not for the win. Of course the victory is an added bonus. Ask anyone who’s on the team who they think will win, of course they’ll say their grade. Last year the seniors won, 48-46, in close game.  

“This year, I think the seniors have a little bit of an edge just because of the competition last year. The juniors are definitely gonna have some good athletes too, but I think the seniors have a slight edge this year, just from the experience,” P.E. teacher Dan Wheeler said. 

Wheeler will be an announcer for Powder Puff this year. He has been a part of the Powder Puff tradition even before it was switched to being played at home, at our football field. 

This year Powder Puff was run by two of our very own senior mom’s, Kelly Fisher and Katie VanderPloeg. This allows Powder Puff to feel as though it was geared and made for us and allows us to feel more connected. 

Phoenix Egeler
Phoenix Egeler, Assistant Online Editor
Phoenix Egeler is a senior, and the assistant online editor for LHSToday.org who specializes in video editing. They also help with the video editing of the online news class, enjoying the freedom of editing. They will be going to college, undecided, to major in journalism and minor in some kind of criminology class, hoping to become an investigative journalist. She is in their fourth year of publications, having taken three years of online news. In their free time you can probably find them doing graphic design, video editing, or writing. They are a horror movie fan ranging from “Scream” to “Return of the Living Dead,” as well as a metal music fan. 
Braden Altrup
Braden Altrup, Executive Producer of Broadcast Media
Braden Altrup is a senior and is the Executive Producer of the Broadcast Media class. This is his third year in Broadcast Media and is super honored to be the Executive Producer. After he graduates he will be going to University of Northwestern Ohio for Motorsports Marketing in hopes to get his dream job of working for Formula Drift. He spends his free time building his 240sx s13 drift build and working on his marketing/design projects for his clients. 
Will Nolan
Will Nolan, Reporter
Will Nolan is a junior, this is his first year in publications. This year he is taking intro to journalism, as well as broadcast media. Will currently works at the Sportsbarn while also having his own media business. Will currently plays for the baseball team which he enjoys to do for school and outside of school. After high school, Will plans on keeping up with sports media in college. Will enjoys playing baseball, hanging out with friends, and traveling.
Sydney Davis
Sydney Davis, Editor-in-Chief of The 2024 Talon
Sydney Davis is an editor-in-chief of the Talon Yearbook and will soon be in her third year of publications while also a manager of the cross country team. She is in her senior year and her second year of classes at SCC. She loves listening to music and watching movies and reading in her free time, along with playing with her niece and nephews. Sydney dreams of being a concert photographer while traveling the world when she is older. She is unsure of where her education will continue after high school, but would like to major in either journalism or marketing. Worms love worms!

Lilly Fister
Lilly Fister, Editor-in-Chief of The 2024 Talon
Lilly Fister is a senior and this is her second year in publications. She is an editor-in-chief of the Talon Yearbook. Outside of school she enjoys playing tennis, which she also does for school, shopping and listening to music. In the future, Lilly plans on attending Mizzou and studying journalism with an emphasis in strategic communications and a minor in psychology.