Categories:

Eagles Get Snuffed Out By Washington

The Eagles take a surprising loss at their homecoming game against the Washington Blue Jays
Jonah Kaler (10) runs with the ball at Washington player during homecoming game on Fri. Oct. 4.
Caitlin McDonnell

The Eagles faced a wall of blue and white as Washington rushed to win the game and spoil the homecoming game, 56-34 on Oct. 4.

The teams were scoreless by the end of the first quarter but the standstill didn’t last long as the second quarter commenced. 

A complete pass for a touchdown and an extra-point kick by the Blue Jays made the score 7-0. Following a few plays later Washington scored yet another touchdown and kicked up the board to 14-0 Washington.

The Eagles got their first taste of points of the night just a play or two later with their own touchdown and extra-point kick cutting the score in half, 14-7 Washington. However, the Eagles comeback is snuffed out quickly by two more Blue Jay touchdowns and kicks allowing Washington to rule the scoreboard 28-7. 

Wrapping up the second quarter, the Eagles made one last touchdown and kick, moving on to halftime with a game score of 28-14 Washington.

The third quarter was back-and-forth touchdowns between the teams. In total, the Blue Jays made two touchdowns and the Eagles made three touchdowns. The third quarter ended, 42-34 Washington. It was the closest the Eagles could get. 

It’s all over in the fourth quarter when the Blue Jays make their last two touchdowns and kicks of the night sealing the score at 56-34.  

The Eagles coaches declined to comment after the game.

WASHINGTON 56, LIBERTY 34

Washington 0 28 14 14 – 56

Liberty 0 14 20 0 – 34

Second Quarter
W: Nolan Hendrix 17 pass from Ryan Kassebaum (kick), 11:15
W: Lane Gerling 1 run (kick), 6:41
L: Jaylen Mack 22 run (Cody McMullen kick), 4:40
W: Camron Smith 25 pass from Ryan Kassebaum (kick), 3:14
W: Jacob Bina 24 pass from Ryan Kassebaum (kick), 1:18
L: Xavior Skeen 1 pass from Jaylen Mack (Cody McMullen kick), 0:03

Third Quarter
W: Wyatt Bobo 23 pass from Ryan Kassebaum (kick), 10:43
L: Caleb Orcutt 38 pass from Cody McMullen (Cody McMullen kick), 10:18
W: Ryan Kassebaum 1 run (kick), 6:57
L: Jaylen Mack 5 run (Cody McMullen kick), 5:05
L: Riley Decaro 35 interception (kick failed), 4:43

Fourth Quarter
W: Alec Pecka 85 pass from Ryan Kassebaum (kick), 8:15
W: Alec Pecka 10 run (kick), 4:12

Marley Higlen
Marley Higlen, Reporter
Marley Higlen is a dedicated and driven sophomore. This is her second year in publications and she will be the sports writer and reporter for publications this year. Higlen loves being in select treble choir and being on drama clubs exec board. All Higlen hopes for this year is to make a difference in her community whether that's big or small. Higlen’s older brother moved into collage at the beginning of the school year but that only makes her more determined to not just live up to him but continue to make the impact that he always wanted in this school. Higlen loves to work, fish and travel with family and friends. 

MaryKate Stroud
MaryKate Stroud, Reporter
MaryKate Stroud is a sophomore, and this is her first time in publications. MaryKate is one of the  managers for girls Varsity Basketball. MaryKate is also the President Elect for FCCLA. MaryKate enjoys doing sports photography and traveling. MaryKate’s favorite place that she traveled to was Italy in the summer of ´24. MaryKate plans on going to college after high school and is currently indecisive on where she wants to go, but she knows that she wants to go for broadcasting and human resources. 
Caitlin McDonnell
Caitlin McDonnell, Photo Editor
Caitlin McDonnell is a senior, and this will be her second year in Publications. Caitlin is the Talon’s Yearbook Photo Editor and is excited to help other photographers grow while also growing herself. Caitlin likes taking pictures of her friends, portraits, sports, theater, and other school events. She also enjoys reading and hanging out with friends. Caitlin is looking forward to a fun senior year full of many memories.