Juniors+Grace+Wilson%2C+Aminah+Lobster+and+Tai+Williams+collaborate+before+the+meeting.+

Leah Miget

Juniors Grace Wilson, Aminah Lobster and Tai Williams collaborate before the meeting.

Coming Together

New Liberty club hopes to show kindness towards everyone

September 10, 2018

Diversity Club is new to Liberty and is an opportunity to create friendships and gain a knowledge about other students ethnicities, gender identities and abilities.

“We help spread culture and raise awareness all around the school, every different month we celebrate something different to make everyone feel welcome,” junior Tai Williams said.

Williams is the president of Diversity Club and Ms. Borders is the sponsor. They started the club because they wanted to recognize students desire to feel welcomed and valued.

“There is a combined effort from LHS Admin, faculty and staff to recognize students’ desire to feel safe, welcome, and valued and we wanted student input from all grade levels who are willing to learn, listen, and led to promote our motto ‘diversity + unity = liberty’,” Ms. Borders said.

They meet after school every second Thursday of each month in Ms. Borders’ room. There are approximately 76 students involved in the club.

Ms. Borders and the students involved learning, teaching and most importantly embracing the differences in each other.

“I am most looking forward to being able to meet new people and show people that skin color does not define who you are,” senior Zoee Harrington said.

Students work on activites, talk and learn about each other in meetings and outside of school.

September 15-October 15 is Spanish Heritage Month and 25 students have the opportunity to participate in the “Dia De Muertos” (Day of the Dead) at the Art Museum.

“Focused committees of students will partner with local resources to plan activities, lessons and meaningful experiences to educate and bring everyone together while celebrating differences,” Ms. Borders said.

Diversity club not only is a good way to make friendships, but also to dig deeper into what makes each of us unique.

Here are the meeting dates if you are interested in getting involved:

*Oct. 18

Nov. 8

Dec. 13

*Jan 24

Feb. 14

*March 21

Nominations for officers for 2020 must occur at this meeting!

April 11

May 9 – End of year club party

Leah Miget
Juniors Aminah Lobster and Tai Williams inform students about what diversity club is.  

LHStoday • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in