GSA Rainbow Day

Students celebrate National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11

Allison Apollo

Senior Drew Goodman wears full pride flag to celebrate National Coming Out Day.

On Friday, Oct. 11, students filled the hallways with red. Red sweatshirts, red paints, even some with red bandanas. But not everyone was wearing red. A handful of students walked into school wearing the most rainbow and colors you have ever seen. 

Members of the Gender Sexuality Alliance, also known as GSA, wore as much rainbow as they could to celebrate National Coming Out Day and LGBTQ History Month on Friday. Students were able to express themselves in a safe space and to stand up to those that had put them down. Some students even wore face paint to show their pride.

Eric Welker, who is the president of GSA, said this when asked why he celebrated National Coming Out Day.

“I wore it in support of those who are afraid to come out,” Welker said.  

National Coming Out Day was created to maintain a positive coming out experience. The date was decided to be the anniversary of the 1987 National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights. 

“We don’t have to hide who we are and we can show who we are without being ashamed of it,” said Maddie Eads when asked about why LGTBQ accepting schools are important.

If you ever want to join a safe community to talk about your feelings, LGBTQ or not, please come to a Gender Sexuality Alliance meeting. The next meeting is on Thursday, Oct. 25.