A Balanced Society

Anyone is welcomed to join Diversity Club that meets most Wednesdays in room 226

February 26, 2020

With the growth of Diversity Club, there is an exceptional amount of recognition and harmony for new friendships. As the club started up in the fall of 2018, there are still many more new things to come with this organization. This club is free for all with no signups. 

Senior Aminhan Lobster is the president of Diversity Club and her main focus is to make sure every different feature in people, such as ethnicity, religion, speed of response, or even confusion with gender, is identified and not gone unnoticed.

As the new year starts, there are a lot of issues that people are trying to resolve. Most students go to their counselor or someone in that field of careers to talk to. However, not everyone has someone to talk to that has the same problems. This is where Diversity Club comes in. With an unlimited amount of arms open and ready to help, there will always be room for anyone who has decided to join. So far there are about 30 consistent students but attendance varies on events. For example, Lobster says “there were about 70 people at the diversity chat.”

The Club has also been implementing new ideas to create more chances for student to attend. Recently, on Feb. 19, the club held its first ever “Unity Night.” From 7-9 p.m., all students from Liberty were invited to enjoy a night of basketball, board games, Matt-Ball, and pizza. The whole idea of the night being, a place for “anyone who is anyone” to come have a good time without any regard of the social constructs that divide our student body.

“We wanted to do something that motivates people to come together and realize that diversity comes in many form,” junior Sarvani Kunapareddy said. “Diversity isn’t just differences in races and culture; it also means differences in interests.”

Ms. Borders, the sponsor of Diversity Club, started the club with some students to create the reputation of wanting to recognize students’ desires to feel welcomed and appreciated. With her, the meetings will be held in her classroom on most Wednesdays. So if you are interested in joining or even just want to listen in on the conversations, everyone is welcome.