Kevin Lyles hugging his mother Nellie at Senior Night. KJ plans to continue playing football after graduation. (Monica Reyes)
Kevin Lyles hugging his mother Nellie at Senior Night. KJ plans to continue playing football after graduation.

Monica Reyes

Varsity Football, Cheer & Dance Celebrate Senior Night 

September 15, 2021

Senior year, a year to remember, and Senior Night will be a night that will forever stay in the hearts of seniors and their parents. 

On Sept. 10, 45 seniors were celebrated before the first home game of varsity football game against Troy. Anna Weber, a senior dancer, described the night celebrating seniors. 

“Very strange I feel like the past four years have gone by like way too fast for me to be here right now,” Weber said. Seniors were escorted by the parents down the track, a tradition of Liberty’s to celebrate the last first home game for the students. Students expressed feelings of nerves, especially cheerleader Dayney Eaton. “I’m a little nervous, and hope I don’t fall,” Eaton said.

Dayney Eaton being escorted down the track with her parents, Anjie and James. After high school, Dayney plans on pursuing a career in the travel industry or going to Missouri State University for a four-year degree. (Monica Reyes)

Last Friday was not only our first home game but also football, dance, and cheer’s Senior Night. This tradition is an old but special one, as it commemorates the seniors for participating in their sport throughout high school. One by one the seniors were announced with their names, parents’ names, their future plans, and their favorite Eagle memory. 

Senior year has always been a special year. It is a year of many changes, exciting opportunities, and lasts. When asked how it feels to be a senior, Eaton said, “little scary, but I like it. The season has been really fun.” 

Many of these seniors have also watched former seniors and their parents partake in Senior Night in the past years. 

“So I’ve liked watching the seniors from sixth grade,” cheerleader Olivia Diel stated. “I’ve come to every home game, and it’s just been exciting, and I’ve always looked up to them even in middle school. I’ve looked up to them, and now it’s like living the dream to be that.” Colby Adelsberger is a varsity football player he says his favorite memory at Liberty is the 2019 district championship. Due to Colby tearing his ACL, he says he isn’t able to play football. He just wants to focus on cheering on his team.

“I’m just here for the bros,” Adelsberger said. He describes the moment walking down the track with his parents as a cool experience and a moment to remember.

Colby Adelsberger holding hands while walking down the track with his parents, Erin and Jason. (Monica Reyes)

This year’s Senior Night was a tear-jerker, especially for the parents of the seniors who participated in the ceremony. For many parents, Senior Night is a moment to be cherished forever. It is also a reminder that soon their kids will be graduating and moving on to even greater things. When asked how she feels about her daughter being so close to graduating, Anjie Eaton, parent of Dayney Eaton said she isn’t ready for her daughter to graduate but she’s getting there.

Senior Night celebrates seniors for their accomplishments over the years and honors them for participating in their sport throughout high school. It also serves as a goodbye to the seniors as they later graduate high school and go on to achieve great things. Senior night will always be one of the most special memories of the year. Especially for the seniors and parents who were a part of it, and will continue to be for students and their families in the future years to come. 

“I think all the seniors look forward to it, and they always have something to say after it’s over. It’s one of the best memories they have,” science teacher Ms. Braile said, who was at the game supporting the students.

Senior Night team members Class of 2022:

Football Class of 2022:

Colby Adelsberger

Sam Arrington

Grayson Biele

Dominik Bishop

Cole Blackstock

Zach Burright

James Cunningham

Reece Davidson

Senior Jacob Sorge watches as his team mates are escorted by their parents. (Sruthi Ramesh)

Tyler Fielder 

Alex Fillner

Romero Fonseca

Warren Gann 

Nate Hauk

Geoffrey Hudson

Na’ere Jones

Brandon Kertz

Riley Laws

Kevin Lyles

Sam Ptasienski

David Richard

Diego Rocha

Jordan Smith

Jacob Sorge

Adian Vankygrifka

Chase Vickrey

Tye Yeh

Cheer Class of 2022

Kara Bobbitt 

Alana Clark

Abigail Cook

Oliva Diel

Dayney Eaton

Rylee Gobble

Sydney Hilgenbrink

Ella Hillgartner

Gabriella Laughman

Senior Ella Evans looks back at the crowd as they cheer on the cheer team for their senior night. (Sruthi Ramesh)

Abigail Lovell

Lianna Rhodes

Beyonca Scruton

Carly Torbit

Karlie Wooten

Breanna Wray

Sydney Wurdack

Dance Class of 2022

Bella Bahr

Molly Marino

Anna Weber