Mr. Datz conducts the first choir concert of the year. (Anna Simms)
Mr. Datz conducts the first choir concert of the year.

Anna Simms

Be The Light

Choir performs their first concert of the season

October 25, 2021

Parents, students, and teachers all filed into the auditorium to experience the first choir concert of the year on Oct. 12, featuring students in the Concert Choir, Select Treble Choir, and Chamber Choir.

The program, titled “Be the Light”, started with the song “Love is Love is Love is Love” by Abbie Betinis. It was performed by the Mass Choir, a choir combining all of the choirs into one, featuring Connor Higlen playing guitar. 

Morgan Feinstein sings a solo during “I Choose Love” (Anna Simms)

There were many beautiful songs that rang out during the performance.

“My favorite piece of the night was ‘Ubi Caritas’,” junior Morgan Feinstein.

Feinstein is a part of both the concert and chamber choir, and was also one of the four soloists at the concert, taking part in the song, “I Choose Love” by Mark. A Miller. Feinstein is no stranger to the stage or to singing.

“I’ve been singing basically as long as I could talk,” Feinstein said with a laugh. 

On the other end of the spectrum, for senior Liam Ovares, this is their first year in choir.

“I’ve always enjoyed singing in private and thought that ‘just doing it’ my senior year would be a good experience,” Ovares said. “I wasn’t sure what to expect when I first joined, but now that I’ve gone through our first concert, I’m pretty happy with my decision.”

Ovares also was able to perform their first solo at the concert, singing “I Choose Love” by Mark. A Miller. “…the dramatic and emotional theme of it makes a strong impression,” Ovares expressed.

Finishing off the night, the mass choir beautifully performed several more songs including the “LHS Alma Mater” (adapted by Carter Datz), ”LHS Fight Song” (adapted by Carter Datz and Sarita Magno-Parsons), and “Be The Change” by Marc Kaplan and Colin Britt. 

Melina Morales and Liam Ovares sing their solos during “I Choose Love.” (Anna Simms)

This concert was a huge success,” Mr. Datz, the director and choir teacher recalls. “I received a lot of positive feedback from students, parents, and colleagues saying they were amazed at how much the kids accomplished in six short weeks and how much they seemed to enjoy performing.”

This is Datz’s third year of teaching choir, with this being his first year at Liberty.

“I knew then that I always wanted choral music to be part of my career and wanted to share those magical moments with the next generation of kids,” Datz explains. 

A big thanks goes out to everyone who helped make the concert a great success, Rhett Cunningham, Mrs. Datz, Mr. Eversole, Mr. Gleason, and Mr. Pryor.

Upcoming Choir Events

11/6, 4:00 p.m. – District Honor Choir Festival- Pattonville High School

11/22, 6:30 p.m. – Wentzville Invitational- Timberland High School

12/14, 7:00 p.m. – Winter Concert- LHS Auditorium