P.E. Departments Hosts Rock Your Socks Event

Mrs. Hall and department partner with Re-Emerge to raise money for a good cause

The+proceeds+from+this+years+Rock+Your+Socks+run+benefit+local+veterans.+

Submitted by Ms. Hall

The proceeds from this year’s Rock Your Socks run benefit local veterans.

The Liberty high school Physcial Education department is hosting their second annual Rock Your Socks 5K and 1-mile run. The races this year will be run virtually. Participants can run anytime between Nov. 19-22. The race is open to high school students, staff, and all of the community. 

The P.E department hopes to promote fitness, fun, and goal setting. This year’s proceeds will benefit Re-Emerge, a non-profit adaptive training program that offers a free nine-week, veteran-only program that will help others shape body, mind, and soul to create a stronger, more confident version of themselves.

This year’s flyer for the virtual 5k announces it’s support for local veterans.

People who sign up can participate anytime and can run anywhere during the week of the run. Runners will use a GPS watch or other run tracking device and can submit their times, or they can run for fun and share pictures in their fun-themed socks. This year the P.E department wants to encourage runners to choose sock choices and attire that demonstrate support for our U.S. military, their families, and veterans. As of Oct. 21, there are 13 participants.

Mrs. Hall came up with the running event after her love of expressing her creative energy with the socks she wears in her sport. 

“I’ve really grown through the sport of running. It has helped me in my life just to be myself so I wanted to share that in some capacity with our community and students,” Hall said. 

Amy Wiggs, a secretary at Liberty, looks forward to participating in the event for the second time in a row. 

“I always try to encourage others to do events like this, especially when it’s for a teacher at our school but also for the veterans and the people that are in our community,” Wiggs said.