Liberty’s Culinary Arts Class Receives Seventh Place at the ProStart Competition

Student Richard Koepp competes at the ProStart competition

Students and Ms. Pizzo pose with the plaque after placing seventh at the competition.

submitted by Ms. Pizzo

Liberty High School’s culinary arts class got 7th place at the ProStart competition during Feb. 16-17 in Springfield Mo. at the Oasis Hotel. The team of four prepared three dishes – appetizer, main course and dessert. The food prepared was shrimp, pork tenderloin and an apple tarte.

“We did well at all of it,” Pizzo says talking about how well they did during the competition. The team does not advance to another competition after this one.

Richard Koepp, Madeline Gamache, Katelynn Larson and Jadyn Mackey all participated in the event.

Koepp, a freshman, participated in the competition. “Honestly, the experience of hanging out with the team was something I can’t ever forget, the laughs and road trip was well worth practicing two times a week for months,” he said.

Koepp mentions you can only participate in the ProStart competition two times but if he could, he would participate every year. Koepp prepared a pork tenderloin with jus de veau lie. Overall, Ms. Pizzo is very proud of her students and is glad that they got the highest place so far compared to previous years of this competition.