Diving Dynamo: Elijah Quest Sets New Freshman Record

The boys swim team’s only diver made school history on Sept. 14 against Francis Howell
Elijah Quest during one of his dives at the Pattonville meet on Oct. 10.
Caitlin McDonnell

Trying Something New

Elijah Quest is a freshman this year and has joined the boy swim team as their diver. This is his first year diving and was inspired to join the swim team for diving because of his experience and also his love for flips.

Quest was a gymnast before joining the swim for Northside Gymnastic Academy and Mid-America Gymnastics Academy. He had officially quit gymnastics about five years ago after making it to level 7. Both gyms unfortunately shut down the boys gymnastics team which led to Quest moving on to something new.

Elijah Quest dries himself before he dives. He is the only diver on the boys swim team this year. (Caitlin McDonnell)

“Diving seemed like a fun thing to try.” Quest said.

Quest’s favorite part about diving so far this season is the support from my teammates and coach. During all the meets he dives in you can hear the cheering for him from his teammates and Coach Kerr.

“Elijah is a great student and athlete, it will be great to see how he does throughout the rest of this season but also his time at Liberty.” Kerr said.

Quest is not only a diver but also pole vaults. During his time in middle school, he did pole vault in the spring for track and field. He also enjoys going to the skatepark a lot.

When you’re on a team, sports or not, you will always have most if not even all your teammates cheering and supporting you. Luckily for Quest, the entire team supports him all the way.

“My most supportive teammates are all of them,” Quest said. “The entire team has been super supportive and encouraging towards me.”

Elijah is improving a ton this season and it is constantly impressive to watch each time he steps up to the edge of the board.”

— Hannah Kerr

Breaking Records

The season has been quite exciting for Quest so far. On Sept. 14 our boys swim team had a meet against Francis Howell and this day was special for him in many ways. He had set a new school freshman record at 206.90 points with a difficulty level of 12.30.

“The moment I broke the record I was surprised and amazed that I beat the record.” Quest said. This is the first time he has broken a school record. However, last year he tied the eighth grade record for pole vaulting at Frontier Middle School.

Quest is a very determined and hardworking athlete according to his coach, Hannah Kerr as well as many of his teammates. “Any time Elijah completes his series of dives in each meet to his best ability then I am proud.” Coach Kerr said.

In Quest’s next meet, he hopes to beat the record again, however, he does think it’ll be a challenge getting his harder dives perfected.