The welcome sign inside of the Reef Keepers store front, Marine Solutions.
Patrick Emery

Reef Keepers with Marine Solutions Breathes Life Into ‘Just Buying Fish’

Local business Marine Solutions with Reef Keepers makes shopping for your perfect gilled buddy easy, fun, and memorable

There are a lot of species of fish, more than 33,000 to be exact. But what do you do when you want to have a slippery scaly buddy of your own? The fact of the matter is that the choice is overwhelming.

Employee of Reef Keepers and Marine Solutions, Billie Emery, shares her four and a half years of experience of working at the store.

“The owner is a fountain of knowledge. All of his merchandise is custom, so he’ll talk to you for hours just to make sure you have a good time just buying fish,” Emery said. 

The owner, Damon Andersson, has owned another businesses in his past; however, that business was about air conditioning. “I had always loved animals. The exotic ones. So, starting a business centered around animals was more about destiny.”

Reef Keepers and Marine Solutions provide tanks, food, equipment and a variety of exotic fish. (Patrick Emery)

Originally starting out of his garage, Reef Keepers worked to maintain his customer’s fish tanks, eventually expanding into an actual store where he could sell fish related merchandise. Since then, he has actually moved to the store across the street from his first fish store, and is now located at 41 Triad South Drive in St. Charles, Mo.

Andersson shares some of the hardest things about being a business owner.

“Most people don’t do enough market research on the field,” Andersson said. “You really need something to set you apart, especially in a saturated field. Unexpected expenses are always bad. The most infuriating thing about being a boss is that your employees are only human, so they tend to take the path of least resistance.”

Andersson adds on, “I am the decider of my day. I don’t even have to work if I don’t want to.” Andersson includes the hardships he has faced. COVID was hard, but it was hard on every small business.

While walking around the store I saw an impressive selection including stingrays, eels, and exotic fish alike.

“Every turn is a sight to behold,” Emery said.

While there is only one location in the world, that’s what makes Reef Keepers and Marine solutions unique; helpful staff that treats you like a friend and a mesmerizing selection of aquatic life.