Double Trouble: Two Snow Days in One Week

The Wentzville School District declares the second snow day of the year
Security guard Renee Dettmer bundles up and waves traffic through at the front of the building the day after our first snow day of the year.
Anna Simms

The unexpected snow and freezing temperatures that occurred throughout the night have deemed us another snow day for the week.

The WSD announced early this morning around 5 a.m., that Friday, Jan. 18 would be declared as a snow day due to unsafe and slick road conditions.

At approximately 1:30 p.m. Thursday evening, the National Weather Service declared a Wind Chill Advisory.

This comes following a previous Wind Chill Advisory that was placed over St. Charles County on and off over the previous weekend. With all this cold, and inclement weather, students were only at school two days out of the five-day academic week. After today’s snow day, the district has four snow days left built into the calendar.

“I think the wind chill is the biggest issue, the wind is making it so much colder outside for students. I can’t imagine how these students feel having to wait for the bus each morning,” junior Caroline Sauter said.

Not only is the cold causing major problems, but the snowfall that began last night has made it nearly impossible to clear off roads. Road treatments and salt will not be effective because of these extreme temperatures. Any road treatments the Missouri Department of Transportation puts down will not be effective enough to melt away any snow or ice.

Missouri has had one bad week of winter weather, but it doesn’t plan to stop anytime soon. Freezing rain and drizzle are very likely to happen Monday night through the morning, which will transfer to snow throughout the day. With temperatures ranging from 26 degrees Fahrenheit, up to just above freezing at 36 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the day Monday.

Most students and even staff members were unaware of these conditions. The snow was expected to pass just north of the St. Louis metro area. But then the cell of snow slowly started to expand, which resulted in snowfall and even some ice.

Although we only received a little under a half inch of snow, it was enough to cause major problems for transportation and safety for students and staff.

With all this cold weather and snow, make sure you stay warm Liberty!