Combining a Love for Béisbol and Spanish Culture

Mr. Hendricks takes a trip to Miami, Florida to watch the Caribbean Series at LoanDepot Park
submitted by Mr. Hendricks

Many people hope to experience a dream they’ve had at some point in their life. Some succeed at fulfilling their dream and others don’t get the opportunity to.

Spanish teacher Mr. Hendricks recently experienced a dream he’s had for a number of years now.

From Feb. 1-9, The Caribbean Series also known as Serie del Caribe took place in Miami, Florida at LoanDepot Park, The Caribbean Series is an annual club tournament of professional baseball teams in Latin America.

This series has been around since 1949 and was first held at the Gran Stadium del Cerro de la Habana (The Great Stadium del Carro de la Habana).

This was the first time The Caribbean Series was held at a MLB ballpark and being the home field of MLB Marlins.

Unlike the United States, The Caribbean and Central America have Winter Leagues that will have the opportunity to win their way to compete in The Caribbean Series.

Although soccer is the most popular sport worldwide, baseball is the dominant and second most popular sport in several other Latin American countries.

Due to many of the games in the past being out of the country, Mr. Hendricks had never been to The Caribbean Series before even after being a fan of baseball since his younger years. This year with it being in the United States, he was able to go.

The Caribbean Series includes many teams around the world. Usually there are between 6-10 teams competing in a series.

This tournament all seven teams played six games against each team in the series. Once each team played one another the top four teams advanced to the semi-finals.

The last two teams up for the championship was Venezuela and Dominican Republic with a win from the Tiburones de La Guaira of Venezuela.

Mr. Hendricks stayed in Little Havana, Miami at an Airbnb with his father and a few buddies throughout his time there.

One of Mr. Hendricks friends, Coach Hill, was first told about the trip a while back to try and get him to come along like many of the other adventures they have had in the past, but unfortunately Coach Hill was in Chicago at the time.

Mr. Hendricks poses for a picture with his father and a few buddies in Little Havana, Miami. (submitted by Mr. Hendricks )

Coach Hill would love to join Mr. Hendricks on the next Caribbean Series knowing there is “lots of good vibes from the fans and deep love of history for their cultures,” Coach Beau Hill said.

“We both love baseball on a deep sentimental level so the atmosphere at the games seemed amazing to me as he was telling it,” Coach Hill said.

The vibrance and intensity of Little Havana for the Caribbean Series made Mr. Hendricks feel like he was at a World Series game.

Music and costumes at the game is very popular and helps bring the environment to The Caribbean Series.

While at LoanDepot Park hanging out in the concourse outside the stadium before the game, Mr. Hendricks and his buddies were approached by video journalists.

“It was awesome getting interviewed and I was debating in my mind whether to use English or Spanish, so I did both,” Mr. Hendricks said.

Mr. Hendricks recommends any baseball or Latino culture fans to go to one of the games. Although he was not able to stay the entire series, he still had an amazing time. “I love Miami,” said Mr. Hendricks. “It’s my city.” Mr. Hendricks hopes to go to many games in the future to experience the Spanish culture again.

The Caribbean Series Results