The cast of Twelfth Night end their run through of the show, singing the closing number
Keena Boschert

Liberty Plays On: Twelfth Night

How Shakespeare transcends time through a beautiful show

From its conception in 1601, to its musical adaptation produced in 2018, Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night has stayed a beautiful and meaningful show.

Beautiful Viola is washed upon the shore of Illyria, and quickly takes up a job offer to serve the Duke, Orsino. In order to work, she must disguise herself as a man, taking on the name Cesario. While trying to woo the grief-stricken Countess Olivia for her boss, she finds herself also developing feelings for Orsino. Throughout this tale of love, heartbreak, longing, and fun, the audience is able to take so much from the production.

Twelfth Night, to me, has been like an assertion of how much I love being a girl… Going outside and falling in love and dancing and having fun unapologetically!

— Clara Walker (11)

“Twelfth Night, to me, has been like an assertion of how much I love being a girl… Going outside and falling in love and dancing and having fun unapologetically,” Costume Crew Head Clara Walker said. She adds that “It sounds silly maybe but the characters and story are so alive and present and larger than life.”

Sophomore Emily Nguyen touches up the dress she has sewn for Feste in Twelfth Night (Keena Boschert)

The show has quickly become a hit within the cast and crew, being playful and full of life. “The choreo is just as lively and fun as the music; it’s really something special to see a room full of people come together to sing and dance,” sophomore Clem Arey said. Clem is in the ensemble in Twelfth Night, and adds that “Music brings people together and this show proves just that.”

With showings from April 18-20, time is running out to grab a ticket in advance. Liberty’s performance of Twelfth Night features a gorgeous set, utilizing two 2-story buildings, as well as an array of costumes that change throughout the show. Walker states that the crew “had to narrow down the vision to something that’s ended up being really bright, fun, and whimsical while still being grounded in the present. It’s honestly like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

The thing is, Twelfth Night is a really big show and it really isn’t the same scale as anything else I’ve worked on

— Louis Stoyanov (10)

Both crew and cast have worked for months on this show, perfecting every minute detail. “The thing is, Twelfth Night is a really big show and it really isn’t the same scale as anything else I’ve worked on,” Sophomore Louis Stoyanov said, “I know it seems simple from a audience perspective, but on the wings it’s kind of chaotic. Between actors swapping costumes, swapping mics, and following along, it can get difficult when something goes wrong.” Like Stoyanov, all of Liberty’s thespians have been awed by the creativity of this show. While it may introduce new challenges, the payoff is incredibly rewarding.