Serving Up a Competitive Season

A reflection on the boys tennis teams season
Ben Wiley strides to the ball during the varsity tennis GACs.
Ben Wiley strides to the ball during the varsity tennis GAC’s.
Sydney Davis

The boy’s tennis team had a record-breaking season with almost 10 athletes making it to districts and many of them qualifying.

The tennis team had nonstop matches back-to-back week after week. Coaches Hill and Campos trained their boys hard as they knew this season would be a tough one. 

“We have had lots of talent from this year’s boys, and we can’t wait until next season,” coach Hill said. 

Even through tough weather, late buses, missed matches, and even no access to transportation, this team has been through it all this season.

Varsity members traveled to over 20 matches over the past few monthsand they dominated their competitors. Junior varsity athletes also had an opportunity for a challenge. With around 13 JV athletes, there was a lot of room for improvement within the team.

When joining the tennis team, you can expect to only learn and grow. You start with a ranking, and from there, you get the chance to “challenge” the person ranking higher than you. By the chance you win the challenge, you get to take over the other members ranking. 

This system of improvement is used in both varsity and junior varsity.

Many boys who achieve a high ranking on varsity can expect some attention when it comes to colleges. 

Unlike any other high school sport, tennis is one of the only sports that has personal rankings within the team. And because of this, it can cause some competition within the team, but it also creates strong connections.

“Our team has become very close this year. I feel like I can connect with my teammates super well, and we all get along for the most part,” Will Grimes said. 

For the 2024 season, the varsity and junior varsity teams have had a higher win rate. 

Junior varsity members play in doubles, which gives the athletes more of a teamwork effort while most varsity athletes play in singles and work alone against one other.

As the season comes to an end for these boys, the bonds they have created will carry onto the next season as the team prepares for another hard-fought year.