• May 17 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 0, Howell - 15
  • May 16 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Timberland - 1
  • May 13 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Howell North - 2

Stealing the Record

The varsity baseball team heads into districts strong breaking the school record for wins in a season with a 20-10 record
Alex+Jung+%2812%29+is+throws+a+fastball+to+the+plate.+%E2%80%9CWe+are+the+first+team+in+Liberty+history+to+win+the+Howell+Tournament%2C%E2%80%9D+Jung+said.+
Sydney Davis
Alex Jung (12) is throws a fastball to the plate. “We are the first team in Liberty history to win the Howell Tournament,” Jung said.

This poll has ended.

Do You Think The Team Will Beat Francis Howell?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The varsity baseball team has had a record-breaking season being the first team to ever win the Fort Zumwalt North Tournament and most recently setting a new record for most wins in a season by compiling a 20-10 record.

“Originally I didn’t know we broke the record, then our coach came in after the game and told us,” Alex Jung (12) said. Jung (12) leads the team with a 6-1 pending record and 63 strikeouts, and Ty Holman (12) has a 2-3 record with a 2.38 ERA.

“I didn’t even know we were close to the record,” Holman said.

This winning season is complemented by an eight straight game winning streak toward the beginning of their season.

The team is ranked second in GAC’s going into districts behind Fort Zumwalt South. Zumwalt South’s team leads the league with a record of 10-0, with our team close behind with an 8-2 record.

“I think we need to focus on hitting because we have been striking out a lot at the plate,” Jung said when asked how the team could improve in order to make the number one spot in the league.

While the team will not be playing Zumwalt South in districts, they will be playing Francis Howell, who is predicted to be their hardest competition.

“I feel like we have a good chance to beat them,” Holman said.

A lot of the players including freshman Ryan Dobratz says that a lot of this season’s success comes down to the relationships they have with each other.

“I think the relationships we have are the most important thing that we have,” Dobratz said. 

At the time of this story, the team beat Timberland 4-1 and are getting ready to play Francis Howell for the district semifinal on May 17 4:30 p.m. at Troy High School.