• May 17 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 0, Howell - 15
  • May 16 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Timberland - 1
  • May 13 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Howell North - 2

Point of View: Saying Hello and Goodbye

Seniors share their feelings on leaving high school and what the future holds for them
Marley Higlen
The Liberty Eagle mascot sheds a tear for our graduating seniors.

First and last always mean something.

For freshmen Olivia Flynn and Sofie Shreve, their first year at Liberty was just the beginning. But for seniors Grace Edney and Anthony Bruns, their last year at Liberty is the end of an era. 

Yes, all four go on to enjoy their summer, but in very different ways. So just how similar or different they will be?

For freshman Shreve and senior Edney, although in different places in their life, they both will have a busy summer. Shreve will be volunteering as a counselor at a musical church camp at WCC (Wentzville Christian Church) and will also be going to a youth church camp in Tennessee.

“It feels surreal for this year to end so quickly and almost uneventful,” Shreve said.

Edney will be counseling for Missouri Girls State after being a delegate last summer as well as being in an all-state summer honor choir.

“I will be going to Florida A&M University, go Rattlers,” Edney said. Both girls will be working, hanging with friends, and taking a trip to Florida this summer.

Grace Edney (12) and Anthony Bruns (12) pose in front of a choir wall. (Marley Higlen)

On the other hand, Flynn and Bruns will be having a low key summer. Flynn plans on spending summer with her friends and family and just relaxing after a stressful school year.

“I’m definitely happy and excited for school to end,” Bruns said.

Although preparing for college, Bruns is also trying to take it easy. He plans on going to SCC (Saint Charles Community College) for two years and figuring out along the way where he will go after high school. While being at SCC, Bruns states he will be working some small jobs and finding music gigs to keep life fun.

“I’m gonna be looking into career paths and trying to finalize the route I’m taking, basically just exploring things,” Bruns said.

Edney felt sentimental when talking about leaving high school.

“It’s definitely bittersweet, but I feel like I accomplished a lot in my high school career. I’m just going to miss my amazing teachers and friends I’ve met along the way,” Edney said.

And it’s known that Edney will be missed by many of her peers as well.

“I feel like you spend your whole life dreaming of being in high school, but when you get there, it’s so much more normal and drama-free than the movies make it out to be,” Shreve said.

And although I know everyone can’t say the same, I know for sure I wasn’t ready for what high school had in store. But the thing about life is you never know what is in store for you and you just have to roll with the punches and keep moving forward.

Good luck Grace and Anthony and may you make a name for yourself in college like you did here.