ACT Time is Here

Information you need to know about to prepare for the ACT

The+ACT+test+is+available+Feb.10%2C+April+14%2C+and+June+9+at+Holt+and+Timberland+High+School.++

The ACT test is available Feb.10, April 14, and June 9 at Holt and Timberland High School.

It’s that time of year where students are hustling to get ready for the ACT. Figuring out when they are going to take it and how they are going to prepare are two of the most stressful factors apart from taking the actual test itself.

The ACT is the nation’s most popular college entrance exam. It is accepted by all universities and colleges. It is divided into five main parts: English, math, reading, science and the optional writing section. There are set test dates and locations that change every year. Normally there is a testing day every other month. This year testing will be offered at Holt and Timberland High School on Feb. 10, April 14, and June 9. The Feb. 10 register deadline has already passed so if you wanted to take it then you would have to pay a late fee of $29.50.

The ACT test costs $46 with no writing portion and will take three hours and five minutes including your 10 minute break. The test costs $62.50 including the writing portion and will take three hours and fifty minutes. You are entitled to a break 10-minute break after the math section. Make sure you arrive early, no latecomers will be admitted to the test.

“The single best way students can prepare is by taking challenging courses here,” college and career counselor Mrs. Gerringer said. “The most they can challenge themselves here is the best study plan for both the ACT and the SAT.” 

Another way you can prepare is by doing online practice tests. Set aside time and take a full practice test and see where you are at. From there you can see what areas you need to work on the most and start focusing there. The best way to study is a little bit at a time and not all at once. It can be beneficial to become familiar with the structure and format of questions as well as the style and content. Getting enough sleep the night before is also a useful step in preparing for the ACT.

“Wake up early on the day of the test, eat a healthy breakfast, and arrive early. This will give you time to get your mind in the right place to do well on the test,” English teacher Mr. Schaper said.

The ACT can be a very stressful test and not doing well on your first try is not the end of the world. Most students end up taking the ACT at least two times. The best way to succeed is by setting a goal within the middle 50 percent of the school you want to attend. This will give you a good chance to get into those schools. Preparation is the key to success on the ACT.

Here are some helpful links for ACT preparation and informational questions:

www.act.org

https://www.wentzville.k12.mo.us/Page/5506

https://www.learningexpresshub.com/productengine/LELIndex.html#/center/college-preparation-center/home