Mark Your Calendars, Back To School On Aug. 16

The school board released next year’s academic calendar.

The school board released next years calendar, and there have been some small changes.

The school board released next year’s calendar, and there have been some small changes.

Next year’s academic calendar was released by the district early January and there have been some small changes.

One difference to note is that we almost have one day added to each break compared to last year. Winter break is six days and not five. We have five early releases rather than four.  

The school year starts Aug. 16 on a Thursday and ends May 24, 2019.  This is similar to this year’s start and end dates. 

“We try to decide the start/end dates to create equally long semesters, due to there being semester classes at the high school level, it is important that they are equal in length,” Ms. Rosner said, who is an NEA (National Education Association) representative for Liberty. “There is a limit to how early we can start, and most of our parents prefer being done by Memorial Day, so we really try to have an end date before then.  

“Of course, we are limited by the number of days we have to go.  We also try to start on a Thursday when at all possible because the teachers are contracted to work three days prior to the start of school, so that makes for a nice easy week. Also, elementary kids (especially kindergartners) are often overwhelmed with the start of school so it’s nice to give them a few days, then a weekend to recover before really kicking it into gear.”

There are very few changes to the calendar, for example, with the amount of days off of school compared to next year. We only have one more day off next year compared to next year. We leave school this year on May 25 and we come back Aug. 16, making summer 83 days. Next year, we leave May 24, and come make Aug. 13, making a grand total of 81 days.  

Most people are happy with the changes that have occured with the calendar.

“I am glad to see more early releases and a longer winter break,” freshman Brianna Mills said.

However, next year we have two days less of summer compared to this year. This year we have 83 days of summer and next year we have 81. Most people would like every last second of summer no matter if it’s just two days.

“Even if we have two less days of summer, it’s still disappointing that we have to come back to school sooner,” freshman Grace Pupillo said.

No matter what happens in 2018-2019, let’s make this next school year awesome. Good luck to everyone.

Days off

Current school year – 28 days off

Next year – 29 days off

Days off winter break

Current school year – 5 days off for winter break. (not counting weekends) Return to school on a Monday.

Next year – 6 days off for winter break. (not counting weekend) Return to school on a Thursday.

First day of school

Current school year – Aug. 17 Thursday

Next year – Aug. 16 Thursday

Spring break

Current school year – 6 day (not counting the weekend)

Next year- 5 days  (not counting the weekend)

Planed last day at school

Current school year – May 25, Friday the planned last day of school unless snow days

Next year – May 24  is the planned last day of school unless snow days

Days of school

Current school year – 175

Next year – 175

Required – 174

Semester 1

Current school year – 83 days

Next year – 83 days

Semester 2

Current school year – 92 days

Next year – 92 days

Late starts

Current school year – 11     

Next year – doesn’t have any scheduled yet

Early release

Current school year – 4     

Next year – 5

Snow make up days

Current school year – May 29, 30, 31  June 1, 4, 5

Next year – May 28, 29, 30, 31, June 3,4

Days of summer

Current school year – 83

Next year – 81