Wrestlers Prepare for Postseason

Team has had strong showings in recent tournaments

Christian+Zeik+defeats+his+opponent+at+the+GAC+meet.+

Molly Morris

Christian Zeik defeats his opponent at the GAC meet.

The varsity wrestling team has had a strong season so far. With their season coming to an end, the team is now getting prepared for districts and possibly state. They had one more tournament before districts and they produced some impressive results.

“We did really good at DeSoto,” senior Ben Leach said. “We took third as team and we were only knocked out of first by four points.” There were 20 other schools at the DeSoto meet.  

Five of the 11 Liberty wrestlers earned top three places at the meet. Three wrestlers took home individual titles: Aaron Steinhoff (106-pound weight class), Cameron Steinhoff (113 pounds) and Christian Zeik (138 pounds). Leach (132 pounds) was second and Wyatt Haynes (126 pounds) finished third.  

On Jan. 5-6, the team competed in the varsity GAC meet.  

“Although I did not perform as well as I wanted too, the team did alright,” Leach said.  

Steinhoff won his respective weight championship, Ziek took second and freshman Wyatt Haynes was third at the varsity meet. Haynes is the only freshman to crack the varsity lineup and has posted a record of 18-7.

Molly Morris
Freshman Wyatt Haynes took third at the GAC meet.

The Eagles freshman team competed well at the GAC freshman meet. This is the largest freshman class (23 wrestlers) in school history so far.

Freshman Jackson Ward won the 160 pound division at the GAC freshman meet. Bob Wallsmith (4th place), John Richardson (4th place) Billy Moffet (4th place) and Maven Griffin (5th place) all had strong performances at the meet.

The varsity team won a meet in December and took fourth in Fort Madison, Iowa.

“I’m nervous but I’m also excited for districts,” junior Hunter Perkins said.

Districts are coming up Feb. 9-10 and the team is doing everything they can to help get prepared. After districts, it’s state at Mizzou and of course, everyone wants to go to state.

As the season is coming to an end, the wrestlers keep pushing as they hope to qualify and place at state this year and make it a year they will never forget.