• February 14Boys and girls basketball games for Friday, Feb. 15 rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Champions Hallway

New and improved hallway to display athletic awards

Mr.+Labrot+and+senior+Mike+Rybak+put+up+one+of+the+boards+for+the+Champions+Hallway.+

Champions Hallway

Mr. Labrot and senior Mike Rybak put up one of the boards for the Champions Hallway.

Braden McMakin

Braden McMakin

Braden McMakin

In it’s fifth year, Liberty High School is still establishing it’s identity and traditions are beginning to form.

The majority of the student body participates in at least one sport or after school activity.

Athletic director, Mr. Eldredge, along with other Liberty coaches and staff members developed an idea where athletes could be recognized for their achievements in the Champions Hallway. This hallway is located between the big and small gym outside of the activities office.

“The hallway is in its infancy but is starting to take shape. I encourage you to come down the hall near my office to check it out,”  Eldredge said.

The project began in early January. The school decided to use navy paint for the bottom half of the wall with a gray line of paint across the top connecting the navy and white. There are three photo boards hung on the wall that separate sports by the season. Each team has their current team photo on display that will be changed out each year.

There is also a smaller board that display sports signings for colleges. There are currently nine conference championship plaques on the wall as well.

“They did it now because they wanted to wait until school had time to succeed more and fill the spaces,” Eldredge said.

In the future, the athletic department plans to add several additions to the hallway. One of these is an all-state trophy case to recognize the all-state athletes. They also wish to add sports specific records to the wall.

Mr. Labrot and senior Mike Rybak both volunteered to help put the boards on the wall on Jan. 26. Rybak enjoys volunteering when he sees teachers working on things in the hallways.

“I helped to make the boards level and look good,” Rybak said.

The athletes also enjoy the hallway and it’s displays.

“I think it’s cool that you can see all of the sports throughout the school year in one place,” sophomore Leah Baalman, Liberty cheerleader said.

Sophia Sahrmann, Reporter

Sophia is a sophomore at Liberty and this is her first year being apart of LHS publications. Next year she hopes to join yearbook. She is on the JV cheer...

Braden McMakin, Reporter

Braden is a senior and has been a part of the publications team since he was a sophomore. Braden is an active member in the Theatre department as well...